Skip to main content

Books To Read This Summer

The first novel I read was Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume. My mom picked it up for me at the school book fair. I didn't put that book down until I was finished reading—two days later. 

Every since I was a child, I've had a love affair with books and reading, even though for a few years the only books I read were Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, and The Baby-Sitters Club. (I think I'm a cross between Stacey, Claudia, and Mary-Anne.) Reading is a passion of mine, and reading is why I never get bored. There is always something to read, and I love getting lost in the story. In many pictures you'll find of me from summer vacations, you'll see me smiling, with a book in hand. Books came everywhere with me. 

Thanks to Penguin Canada, I have a lot of great books to read this summer, and I'm so glad. I'll be on a very long flight soon, heading to Greece with my family, and I know reading will help pass the time on the long flight. I love a good book on the beach, too.


Make room in your beach bag for these great books, and leave a few by your reading corner for rainy days:

Me Before You, Jojo Moyes: I read this book in two days. Me Before You is one of those amazing books that you won't be able to put down, and you'll lose track of time until you realize it's 2 a.m. and you have to be up at 6 a.m. But it's worth the lack of sleep, trust me. It's unexpectedly romantic, lovely, and sad, and well worth the read. It'll stay with you for a long time after you've finished the last page.

Studio Saint-Ex, Ania Szado: Rules of Civility is one of my favourite books, (and the best book I read in 2013) and apparently, Studio Saint-Ex is just as good. It's set in the 1940's, and it's about "... twentieth century fashion, French expatriates in Manhattan during World War II, the miracle of creative genius and the lives of the great writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery and the women he loves." Sounds amazing, no? 


Naked Imperfection, Gillian Deacon: Gillian Deacon is a much loved award-winning Canadian broadcaster and environmental writer. Naked Imperfection is her personal and brave story of her breast cancer diagnosis and her strength and courage moving forward. I've started reading it, and it's an excellent book. I'd recommend it to anyone. 

Then and Always, Dani Atkins: This is book I am just dying to start reading. (I love the pretty cover, too.)  It's going to be the first book I start as soon as I get on the plane. I'm pretty sure I'll be finished reading it before we even land! "Absorbing, surprising, and heart-rending, Dani Atkins's debut novel follows a young woman who, after an accident, gets a second chance at life... just not the one she remembers." 


The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, Gabrielle Zevin: I have heard the best things about this book, so I can't wait to start reading this story about a book store owner, and his life. "As surprising as it is moving, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is an unforgettable tale of transformation and second chances, an irresistible affirmation of why we read and why we love." 

The Interestings, Meg Wolitzer: The Interestings was named a best book of the year by Entertainment Weekly, Time, and The Chicago Tribune, and this book has been recommended to me by friends who are avid readers, so no doubt I'll love it. Also, it's my kind of story: "The summer that Nixon resigns, six teenagers at a summer camp for the arts become inseparable. Decades later the bond remains powerful, but so much else has changed." This books deals with friendship, power, money, talent and more. Oh, I know I'm going to love it! 



Happy reading, everyone!


Disclaimer: Penguin Canada sent me a package of amazing books that I'm reading (and will be reading over the next couple of months.) Thank you Penguin Canada for making this reader so happy.

Comments

What a great list! I am trying to do some more reading, and enjoyed reading Emily Giffin's book Where We Belong yesterday.