Skip to main content

Golden Globe Awards: Nominations And Predictions

It's been a year since Tina Fey and Amy Poehler made award shows worth watching again, and this Sunday, I'm more excited than last year for the Golden Globe Awards, because, well, Tina and Amy are back, along with some amazing presenters, like Robert Downey Jr. and Reese Witherspoon.

Last year's Golden Globe Awards were fun to watch, especially for all the great red carpet fashion. It's my favourite award show, and I'm excited to see who wins this year.

(American Hustle! House of Cards!)

Here are the nominations, and who I'm hoping wins...

Best Drama:

12 Years a Slave
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Philomena
Rush

I'm hoping Rush wins, because I'm a huge Formula One fan. (Also completely devastated over the news of Michael Schumacher's skiing accident, and hoping for a miraculous recovery for him.) I've been to F1 several times in Montreal, and it's such a great thrill. Rush is a re-creation of the 1970's rivalry between Formula One rivals James Hunt and Niki Lauda.



Chilling, right?

Best Musical/Comedy:

American Hustle
Her
Inside Lleweyn Davis
Nebraska
The Wolf of Wall Street




The clear winner here? American Hustle! I loved this movie so, so much. It truly was perfection, and the cast was amazing. Also, I love the soundtrack.

Best Director:

Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
Paul Greengrass, Captain Phillips
Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave
Alexander Payne, Nebraska
David O. Russell, American Hustle

David O. Russell, I hope you win for American Hustle.

Best Actress, Drama:

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock, Gravity
Judi Dench, Philomena
Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks
Kate Winslet, Labor Day

Tough one, isn't it? My money's on Cate, though.

Best Actor, Drama:

Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
Idris Elba, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyer’s Club
Robert Redford, All Is Lost

Tom Hanks, just because I love him.

Best Actor, Musical or Comedy:

Christian Bale, American Hustle
Bruce Dern, Nebraska
Leonardo Di Caprio, The Wolf of Wall Street
Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis
Joaquin Phoenix, Her

Leonardo is always fantastic to watch, and Joaquin will probably win for his acting in Her, but I'm still hoping Christian Bales goes home with the Golden Globe for American Hustle. (Have I mentioned I love this movie yet?)

Best Actress, Musical or Comedy:

Amy Adams, American Hustle
Julie Delpy, Before Midnight
Greta Gerwig, Frances Ha
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Enough Said
Meryl Streep, August: Osage County

Amy Adams, because, whoa, she was amazing and sexy and perfect in American Hustle, and I need her entire wardrobe. And some double-sided tape. And to colour my hair red.

Best Supporting Actress:

Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts, August: Osage County
June Squibb, Nebraska

Jennifer Lawrence was AH-mazing in American Hustle! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.

Best Supporting Actor:

Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
Daniel Bruhl, Rush
Bradley Cooper, American Hustle
Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyer’s Club

I swear I'm not biased, but yeah, I'm hoping Bradley Cooper wins for his incredible role in American Hustle. He was incredible. If he doesn't win, I'd be okay with Daniel Bruhl winning for Rush.

Best Screenplay:

Spike Jonze, Her
Bob Nelson, Nebraska
Jeff Pope/Steve Coogan, Philomena
John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave
Eric Warren Singer, David O. Russell, American Hustle

Do I even have to say it? Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell for American Hustle! I'd also be happy with Spike Jonze winning for Her.

Best Animated Feature:

The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Frozen

This is a tough one! My family and I loved Despicable Me 2 and Frozen. I think my boys would pick Despicable Me 2... and I'm... still... torn.

Moving on to the other best part about the Golden Glove Awards: TEVEVISION!

Here are the nominations, and who I hope wins:

Best TV Comedy or Musical:

Girls
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation
The Big Bang Theory
Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I only watch Modern Family, so I guess I hope they win, although I've heard great things about Girls and The Big Bang Theory.

Best TV Drama:

Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
The Good Wife
House of Cards
Masters of Sex

Wow, really? Can we maybe give out three Golden Globe awards in this category? I think everyone will freak out if Breaking Bad doesn't win (they totally will, though) but come on, House of Cards is absolutely the best show on Netflix!  Downton Abbey is great, too. I'm hoping House of Cards wins.




Best Actress, TV Drama:

Julianna Marguiles, The Good Wife
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black
Taylor Schilling, Orange Is the New Black
Kerry Washington, Scandal
Robin Wright, House of Cards

Taylor Schilling is great in Orange Is the New Black, but Robin Wright is wickedly good in House of Cards, and not just because of her wardrobe.

Best Actress, TV Comedy:

Zooey Deschanel, New Girl
Lena Dunham, Girls
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

Love Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Veep. But Zooey Deschanel is fabulous, too. Hmm...

Best Actor, TV Drama:

Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Liev Schreiber, Ray Donovan
Michael Sheen, Masters of Sex
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards
James Spader, The Blacklist



Everyone else in this category can go home, because this award belongs to Kevin Spacey, and um, Kevin Spacey. Of course a lot of people will be equally happy if Bryan Cranston wins for Breaking Bad, but yeah... Kevin Spacey!

Best Actor, TV Comedy:

Jason Bateman, Arrested Development
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Michael J. Fox, The Michael J. Fox Show
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I don't watch any of these shows, so I'm going for Michael J. Fox because he's one awesome Canadian.

Best Supporting Actress, TV Show, Miniseries or TV Movie:

Jacqueline Bisset, Dancing on the Edge
Janet McTeer, White Queen
Hayden Panettiere, Nashville
Monica Potter, Parenthood
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family

I stopped watching Parenthood (and Grey's Anatomy) because I was done with crying and being depressed every week. It was torture! Monica Potter is great in Parenthood, though, and Sofia Vergara is gorgeous and funny in Modern Family.

Best Supporting Actor, TV Show, Miniseries or TV Movie:

Josh Charles, The Good Wife
Rob Lowe, Behind the Candelabra
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad
Corey Stoll, House of Cards
Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

Here's hoping Corey Stoll wins for his role in House of Cards.

Who are you hoping wins?
Are you as excited as I am for the Golden Globe's this Sunday?

 I can't wait... stay tuned for a full re-cap and a fashion report on Monday morning!

Comments

And I thought I really loved American Hustle! I think you loved it even more than I did! Such a great movie! Loved your choices here.