Skip to main content

The Comfort Zone

I've gone out of my comfort zone many times, either by choice, or by force, and most of the time, the results haven't destroyed me. After all, some things are worth taking a risk for, don't you think? We only live once, and all that jazz.

I am not the biggest risk taker, and I would never willingly jump out of a plane. However, I love roller coasters and the awesome feeling that comes with being on rides at amusment parks. I love the thrill.

I like to ski, as long as I know the hill I'm on. But as soon as I'm on an unfamiliar hill, I freeze, and fear takes over. Like the time I was on a double black diamond hill and didn't even know until my friend told me and I decided to sit and shuffle my way down? Yeah, I was totally out of my comfort zone, and I hated it. But looking back, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I survived. And now, I have a story to tell.

I went snow tubing once, which was most definitely out of my comfort zone, and the time I went white water rafting? I didn't even know I was going to get wet. Level 4 rapids? You're going to get wet. Very, very wet. Was I out of my comfort zone? Absolutely. Was I scared? Of course. Did I have the best time ever? Without a doubt.

I still worry about the end of the world, which is totally probably going to happen in a few months, you know. The idea of the world ending scares me, but some things are just out of my control. Like every time I step on a plane? That's a fear I have that doesn't go away, no matter how many times I fly. That's me forcing myself out of my comfort zone, but I do it, time and time and time again. Being in my comfort zone goes hand in hand with the feeling of being in control, and when I'm on a plane, I've got no control over anything, except what to drink.

Realistically, though? When I step outside my comfort zone, I find I'm stronger and braver than I thought I'd be. I've had to face my fears many times before, and I've always made it through okay. I went to California and moved to D.C. when I was in my early twenties, both times for internships at big television stations. I was out of my comfort zone, but it was so worthwhile.

I stepped outside my comfort zone in a big way when I become a mom, by choice, and by force. My world was turned upside down and my heart exploded with a love so fierce I never dreamed possible.

Every day, as a mom, I learn something new, I take risks, I make mistakes, and I try to do the best job I can. Motherhood has taken me out of my comfort zone, sure, but it's now a familiar world to me, the only world I know, and a world I love more than anything. Life is a great adventure, and pushing myself out of my comfort zone makes me feel alive.

The more I push myself, the more I learn, the more experiences I'll take with me, and the more stories I'll have to share.

Life is worth living, risks are worth taking, and getting out of our comfort zone? It's totally, absolutely worth it.






Thanks Mama Kat for another awesome writing prompt!




Comments

Canadian Dad said…
I hear you on the flying thing. I am petrified every single time I step on those things.

And while I'm comfortable in my ability to raise my kids, there is always something with them that tests your comfort zone limits!

Great stuff, I'd never heard of the writing prompt but it looks like fun.
Anonymous said…
I still can't get off the bunny slope... You're doing better than me. :)
Avitable said…
Is the comfort zone surrounded by . . . the danger zone?? (insert Top Gun music)
Suzanne said…
The fact that you even went white water rafting still blows my mind! Did it ruin your hair? Lol! Great post xo
Annie said…
Oh my gosh I'm the same way about the world ending! I know it's ridiculous...were you all worried about "last hype" about a year ago?? I was pregnant and thought "well this sucks. I am not going to have my baby....or get to have a few glasses of wine again!"
Cyndy Bush said…
I am not so good at getting out of my comfort zone, but you definitely are!
I did go snorkeling, although my ultimate goal is to go diving one day. I'm SO chicken!!
TKW said…
The comfort zone is so good, because it is--you know--comforting. I like comfort. But you are right; when you can force yourself to push through, you learn so much.

Hi from MK!
Angella said…
Love this, Lou. Life IS too short not to step out of your comfort zone every once in awhile.
Anonymous said…
So true. Excellent reminder.
Jamie Miles said…
I wouldn't have ever thought of being a mother -- but now I completely agree. It's almost the older they get the harder it is. There is so little you can control -- way out of the comfort zone.
My high school yearbook quote was... "Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing. Only a person who takes risks is free."
Alex said…
But I liiiiiiiike my little comfort zone. It's so cooooooozy in here.

Whining doesn't help, does it? :p

I've been learning as I age, that challenging myself to do things outside my rut (and let's face it, it's a total rut) is a GREAT thing.
Stephanie said…
Ohh Loving yuor make-over!! May I ask who did it? Was it you?
Great story. I've gone down many hills on my butt, too. Terrific food for thought...
KatBouska said…
Look at your fancy redesign!! I love it!! :)

And I feel your pain on some of these...airplanes give me major anxiety. I try to drive the risks out of my brain, but I hate myself a little every time I get on one.
I am a comfort zone person as well, but like you said, it is worth it to move out of it!
vicky said…
Life IS all about risk taking. One has to take risks in order to claim s/he has LIVED! Living always in our "comfort zones" is no life at all. It's a boring, catatonic/comatose state that adds nothing to your personal growth-evolution. Good for you! You're ALIVE (...and kicking!!!)
snakeman said…
Talking about comfort zones, handling snakes is one that scares most people. However recently at a reptile party in Melbourne not just kids, but adults as well, stepped out of their conmfort zone to play with reptiles of all kinds. Well worth a try and there are several companies doing this type of thing these days.