Skip to main content

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

It's finally November! Which means a few things:

1. Red cups are back at Starbucks, baby!

2. I will book my winter vacation to Florida this week because I'm really already so over winter and...

3. I can now finally start talking about CHRISTMAS!

Oh, I know. It's ONLY the beginning of November... but still! The holidays are upon us! Fa-la-la-la-la! It's begining to look a lot like Christmas and all that jazz. Really, it is. There is SNOW and frost and it's cold. So the only think that's going to keep me sane during these cold months is the upcoming holiday season. I'm hopeful this will be a VERY good November.

Here are some festive things to look forward too—the good, the bad, and the... pour me another whiskey, please.

1. Wrapping presents! Despite all the little paper cuts you'll get that will hurt every time you wash your hands, it's worth it. Because... the pretty paper! The bows! The sparkly!

2. Parking lot drama! Trying to find a spot to park on December 23rd as you madly try to finish the shopping you so proudly started on November 1st, only to realize you haven't bought anything for your spouse. Fighting with other drivers, getting your hair wet, sweating from the anxiety, and hitting other cars in the parking garage? SO MUCH FUN!

3. After too much wine the night before, opening all the new presents Santa left your perfectly well-behaved children will be a huge challenge. Word from the wise—have your coffee first, and keep the Bailey's close. Opening all the toys your children received is very, very hard. The packaging! Those little twist-tie things! Pure and utter torture. I will be crying with you as you try to get that truck out of that damned box. I will also be cursing the people who packaged these toys!

4. Writing dozens of Christmas cards—not because you're checking your mailbox frantically every day to make sure your fireplace mantle is filled with Christmas cheer from friends before your holiday party, but because you truly want to be writing dozens of cards while watching Glee. That hand cramp? It'll go away... eventually! Psst - there is a return address label on my envelope for a reason! MAIL OUT YOUR CARDS ON TIME!

5. The holiday weight gain. My personal favourite. No matter what you say, you can't get through a fun holiday season without packing on a few pounds. THANKFULLY sweaters cover it all up. And the mass panic to lose weight for the summer or for that winter vacation down south won't kick in until about late January, anyway.

6. Going into serious debt. Why is it that I'm always most in debt the months leading up to the holiday season? I need a budget that I'm not going to stick to. Just so I can say I tried.

7. Shopping. Good times! Seriously, I LOVE to shop for other people. What's on your list this year? Let me know and maybe I'll surprise you!


What are you looking forward to this holiday season—and dreading?

Comments

Stephanie said…
The red cups are back?? Ohh an excuse to go get a Starbucks today:)
---and now I must make a decision about a winter vacay. I hate winter!
Burgh Baby said…
And now I have to go to Starbucks and verify that the red cups really are out. DARN!
Beth said…
I'm right there with you. Halloween signifies the start of Christmas season to me. Time to buckle down and start the shopping!

I'd really like to make some homemade gifts this year. I'm thinking something edible...peanut brittle, peppermint bark...It is something I'm determinded to accomplish for once!
Mrs. M said…
I'm so excited!! :) I heard holiday music at Target today and it didn't make me groan. I too hate opening all those kids toys. I try to do as much as possible the night before.
I love the red cups at Starbucks!!! I am so ready to start decorating for Christmas. Was just at Michael's today, and saw all the Christmas decorations...and felt the excitement!!
Yay! i love all the same things! Except the debt thing. My husband makes us pay everything in cash, what fun is that!?
Laura Marchant said…
I am looking forward to it but shopping Kohl's the other night to a continuous loop of Christmas music just felt too early. I like me some Thanksgiving too.
CaraBee said…
I was at the grocery store today and they had a big display of egg nog. It is officially the holidays!
Lady Mama said…
I'll talk to you about Christmas because I'm ridiculously excited about it too. And yes, agreed - kids' toys are a nightmare to open, we always undo them before wrapping them. Good tip. I'm looking forward to writing and sending my cards, wrapping the gifts, and decorating the house. And I think this year, starting some new traditions too.
Christmas is my most favourite time of the year hands down. Today, I took down all of the Halloween decorations and contemplated putting up Christmas ones...but then I thought that was pushing it a bit. I did, however, pull out the Christmas music and the Christmas story books and the kids and I read/listened to them all day. It's a sickness. :)
Connie said…
I'm so happy about the red cups!

I started planning yesterday!
Avitable said…
That's why I do all my shopping online and have everything wrapped for me!
I think this year, Santa will be unpackaging all toys/gifts before wrapping them. My sanity is at steak!
Gwen said…
The Christmas card cramping made me laugh! I send out cards every year, and the only card I get back is from my mother. She lives 15 minutes away from me. And she only sends it to shut me up!
Krista said…
Yay for the holidays!! This is my FAVORITE time of year - except for all the snow and ice, of course! I also loooove receiving Christmas cards in the mail --Should we exchange addresses? I ALWAYS send mine on time :) My Christmas wish list this year: a pretty bangle bracelet that I can wear every day! And I would LOVE a Louis Vuitton, but I'm not sure that will happen! What's on your wish list this year? Will you do a post about it??
Unknown said…
I so want to be in Christmas mode, but I have one more Thanksgiving to celebrate first. Oh and then I went hand had a child who's birthday is 10 days before Christmas.

Watch for me, I'll be one of those crazy parking people on December 23rd. LOL!
YES! I am sooooo excited! This is the first year Little BooBoo actually "gets" it, can't wait!
November 1 is my official day to start decorating for Christmas. I cannot wait to get started and get everything out and start putting into place everything that I have been thinking about. I do not like winter but I love to decorate for Christmas