Skip to main content

A good deed

I had plans to have a huge garage sale this summer so I could get rid of some of the clutter in our basement—baby books, clothes, and toys. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have another baby, so I thought selling the things we no longer needed was a great idea. Other items, I had already donated to our children's hospital.

I had organized everything into boxes and bags. I was about to pick a date for the garage sale when my sister called me to tell about an ad she saw online.

"Loukia, this pregnant single lady is looking for gently used baby toys and books. Why don't you give her all your stuff?" she suggested to me.

I thought that was a great idea.

I emailed the mom-to-be, and we made arrangements to meet at the shopping centre near my house. I arrived with bags of goodies for her unborn child.

After I gave her the baby gear, I got a little teary-eyed. I knew that her baby would enjoy the same books my boys enjoyed, I knew her baby would play with the same toys that brought smiles to my babies faces, and I knew that she would love her child with all her heart. I felt happy that this deserving mom had a great supply of toys and books for her little one.

A few days ago, I received an email that brought a smile to my face again...

Dear Loukia,

I just wanted to thank you once again for the baby books and toys you gave me back in June. I have been so blessed to have so many caring and wonderful people come into mine and my baby's life to help us in a situation and a time of need that I am truly amazed at how God can draw people into a person's life when they are at their most lowest and humblest point.

My baby is due in about a week and a half, and without your generosity I doubt I would be as prepared as I am for her much anticipated arrival.

Thank you so much once again for your kindness and taking the time to answer a call for help. God bless you and your family,

A

It's truly amazing how just one email can brighten your day so much.

(Have a free second? Can you please vote for Loulou's Views for Best Family Blog in the 2010 Canadian Blog Awards? I'm in the finals and I'd love to win again! All it takes is literally one second - and one click! Thank you so much!)

Comments

Liz Mays said…
That was really quite touching! What a generous and kind thing to have done!
Avitable said…
You should have demanded that she name her child "Loukia" in return!
Anonymous said…
This is wonderful !! You are such a great person! I can so relate. My friend at work has given me so many clothes and things for my kids since we are really in need right now and i always give my kids things to people too! its such a good feeling to help someone!
That is a great thing you did and I'm sure you feel really wonderful for having done it!

Good karma stuff :)
Unknown said…
That's awesome! It feel so good to help someone who really needs it. Good for both of you! :)

And I voted...
Oh wow! That is so sweet of you to donate all your stuff, and an even sweeter thank you email! If it were me, I'd be nervous that the person might take all my stuff and turn around and sell it on eBay or something, but it sounds like she was really in need, and you came through for her. Thank you for sharing this story!