Skip to main content

The new baby girl in my life

My 6 years younger than me sister had a baby girl last week. My little sister, way more independent than I am, is someone who has never needed my advice because she always knows what she wants.

Last night, she called me and asked me for advice. For the first time ever.

"Can I store breastmilk in the fridge? And after, am I supposed to warm it up?" she asked.

Finally. I was asked for some advice!

Just a few days ago, my sister became a mother. It is truly amazing how much I am in love with this new baby girl, perfect in every way - it feels, in a way, that I sort of have a third child - that's how much I love her!

My boys are loving their new cousin, too. The first time they met her, they could not stop smiling. It was such a sweet moment.

I had really easy labours and deliveries, (as in 6 hour labours, pushing for about 20 minutes with both babies, and both times, I was induced) so I sort of expected the same for my sister.

Didn't quite turn out that way for her, though. She was in labour for 27 hours. She pushed for 3 hours. I was so stressed, I bet my blood pressure was through the roof as I waited for her to deliver her baby. Since the happy family arrived home I sort of haven't left her house. I feel bad for my sister because she's not going to kick me out but, I don't want to leave. Because I love holding her baby!

I can also say with absolute certainty, as much as I LOVE the newborn stage - and am enjoying my sister's baby - I'm not going to have another baby. I am exhausted just watching my sister feed on demand, I don't want to have to deal with losing that weight again, and we are close to not needing diapers anymore. Now with this new baby in our lives, I can enjoy it all - but still go home and fall asleep when I want to.

I think this post - my tips for new moms - and this post - about my life before I became a mom -will come in especially handy for my sister now.

Congrats, mama! Welcome to this awesome, amazing, thrilling, emotional world called parenthood, a world you have now just begun to understand. Your life has just changed before your eyes - enjoy every moment. And don't worry. You will get to sleep again. Not sure when, but eventually! (Sleep is overrated anyway!)

Comments

Loukia she is gorgeous! Congrats to your whole family on a beautiful baby girl! And I would have at least 1 more if hubs would let me but he won't. I totally think babiea are better than sleep! You are one beautiful auntie!
Nikosmommy said…
Congrats Thea! Being an aunt is perfect because you can babysit, play with her and then pass back to her mom!
I know what you mean about not envying the sleepless nights. And like you said, when you've lost the baby weight and they're almost out of diapers you can start to see pass the baby-phase. (though I really liked the first years too!)
T Rex Mom said…
You can sleep when the kids are grown - they are only tiny for a short time.

Congrats to the new mama - she appears to be an adorable little girl. Enjoy!
CaraBee said…
How wonderful! I'll bet she is appreciating every bit of help you give her. Remember how hard those first days were? Oh my gosh, it seems unreal now. Lucky you, you can enjoy the newborn phase without all the hassle! So sweet!
CONGRATS!! And it's great to be asked for advice!

http://theartsymom.tk
I am happy for her! and you as well, enjoy this time as an auntie!
Congrats on that darling girl! Looks like you are in heaven. :-)

Sounds like your sister had the kind of labor I had! Hoping for a labor more like yours this time around...

Enjoy cuddling that little cutie pie!
Pres. Kathy said…
Na sas zisi! COngratulations!