Skip to main content

Flashback Fridays!

1581884212_57276dd550_o

I thought I'd participate in the Flashback Friday party that Scary Mommy is hosting today and re-post this post that is not that old, but still... timely. My grandparents have left for Greece and I will miss my grandmother terribly until her return in August. She is a life-saver and a true saint, and my boys love her so, so much. Things are much harder when she is not around to take care of us all!

________________________________


Originally posted February 24th, 2009

A living saint


This is one of my favourite pictures of the four generations - I so badly wish my son Christos was in it, too! It's my sister, my mom, my grandmother, me and baby Dimitry.


This is my beautiful grandmother with my two children.

My grandmother is the most amazing lady that ever walked the earth. I'm not kidding. This is the woman who raised two great children - my mommy, who is my closest friend, a wonderful mom, amazing grandmother, successful artist and just overall terrific and funny person. My grandmother also raised a son who is an accomplished and succesful economist living and working in D.C., published writer and great father. That's really besides the point.

My grandmother helped raise me, took care of me, and fed me her delicious home-cooked Greek meals all the time. She loves me like her own child. And now my grandmother, my terrific, happy, loving grandmother is helping me raise my children, by babysitting them a couple of times a week while I go to work.

She is at my house 2 to 3 times a week at 6 a.m. Before I even stumble down the stairs with my baby in my arms, she has cleaned my kitchen, folded my clothes, organized my family room, made me coffee, and started my car. Oh yeah - did I mention she woke up at 5 a.m. today to cook spanakoriso for my children? (That's a Greek rice and spinach dish, really yummy!) I mean, seriously - this woman never stops! She also continues to work as a waitress because she likes the social aspect of it. And her customers love her to pieces. I really, really could not do it without her. I am so, so thankful for her and for all the help she provides my family. I don't know where on earth she finds her energy, and her ability to help out as much as she can astonishes me. I'm truly in awe of her and I know I will never be as great a woman as she. She is the most giving person, so loving. Not only does she babysit 3 times a week, she comes over on weekends too, bright and early, because, well, she can't get enough of my boys. I appreciate her more then she will ever know. The things she does for me, everyday. It's quite amazing. I love her so much!

Comments

Tami said…
Your grandmother truly sounds like an amazing person!! Sweet post!

And yes, I'd love to try some of her great cooking :)
Your grandmother is beautiful!! It is so great you have her in your life!!
ViolinMama said…
loved this. I miss my grandmother... :( Treasure your time, and she's awesome!!
Capital Mom said…
How lucky you are to have your grandmother! And how lukcy your boys are. I am sure she will miss them so much while she is away.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Scary Mommy said…
Oh, so sweet! I miss my grandmother so much. Your family is just so gorgeous!!!

And thank you so much for playing along! :)
Kelly said…
I wish I had her energy! You're a very lucky woman to have her. Not just for the housework help but your boys must have so much fun with her too.
Summer said…
You guys have some gorgeous genes in you family! Lucky girl!!!

You guys barely age!