Skip to main content

Take a breath... and relax!

Sometimes, it all seems so very overwhelming. Taking care of two children under the age of 4 is no easy task! Taking care of two boys under the age of 4 is no easy task... Working full-time, and coming home at 5 p.m. to two hungry children under the age of 4 is no easy task, and finding time to clean a messy house with toys, books and sippy cups everywhere is no easy task! Finding time and the skills needed to be a good cook in the kitchen, for me, at least, is no easy task.

But... at the end of the day, you have to remember how wonderful it all is,despite the mess, the tears, and the tantrums. And remember how lucky you are. I know I do. I really, really do. I feel blessed by my two children and I always smile when I think about them. They are my life and they bring me so much happiness. And the wet clothes that have been sitting in the washing machine for one too many days, well, so be it.

I found this poem on McKMama's blog. It is worth sharing. Any mom can relate, I'm sure. So enjoy!

Song for a Fifth Child
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Comments

Mom2Miles said…
Wow, so you have 2 boys under 4 too, huh? Yep, it's definitely not easy! But who said you have to be a good cook, too? I say if you're getting them to eat anything you're doing alright. I am SOOO sick of the daily food battles w/ my picky 2.5 y.o.!
Rebecca said…
Great post, you sound like you really love motherhood and your little boys are too precious! Beautiful poem

Also, WOW! Check out the new look - love it!! I am so behind, started looking for a designer etc. but where has the time gone? My goal is to relaunch on Mother's Day, we'll see. But I love what you've done!!
BeachMama said…
I agree, great reminder Loukia. It's all about perspective.
A Crafty Mom said…
Great new look - it's fantastic! And wonderful words of wisdom, too :)