Skip to main content

2011: A Year In Review

This year we were rolling in the deep and moving it like Jagger. Britney got engaged, Jessica got pregnant, and the biggest wedding of the year took place in England. The world fell in love with Pippa, (sorry, Kate!) and everyone cheered when news broke about Osama, even those of us who thought UFO's had landed on earth, because what else could the breaking news so late at night be? As usual, all major news stories broke on Twitter first.

2011 was the year the world was supposed to end, with Rapture and dead birds and all, and yet, somehow, we survived. Take that, Kirk Cameron!

People occupied Wall Street and a brilliant man who forever changed technology passed away, leaving us all to mourn on our iPhone's, in sadness while shaking our heads at the five people left on Earth who are still using Blackberry's.

2011 was a year filled with good news stories and awful, heartbreaking news.

This past year was also one that was filled with amazing opportunities that I'm so thankful for. It was the year my oldest son started grade one, and the year my baby started pre-school. I tend to share less about my children's lives on my blog, and more in my personal journals, but I'll never stop writing about my boys. My boys keep me laughing all day long and fill my heart with so much love, it hurts. We took a road trip to Maine and made new awesome holiday memories, and soaked up as much fun as we could this year as a family, but that's another year-end post for another time.

For now, here are my top blog posts of 2011:

2011 began with some new beginnings.

And some fear, too when I felt a lump and had my first mammogram.

As usual, we spent some time (never enough) in south Florida, where I got over my SAD for a week, at least.

I told you all about the things that annoy me.

And how hard it is to find balance.

I was ecstatic to be in the Top Ten to be the new co-host for Daytime Ottawa, and I had blast being Kelly Ripa for a day.

And I was truly honoured to be featured in The Ottawa Citizen as one of the city's top six fashion bloggers, and one of three fashion bloggers with Ottawa Magazine.

I wrote about what to expect when you become a mom, and how Bambi caused me life-long trauma.

I reminisced about Old School Blogging and the days that have passed.

I shared with you all where I'm from, one of my favourite posts of the year.
(Maybe even ever?)

I wrote about my Five Things.

I became Yummy Mummy Club's shopping blogger, which fell into place perfectly, because well... I love to shop, and I love to write about my love of shopping.

I popped some Ativan and went to San Diego for BlogHer'11.

I attended the Toronto International Film Festival and interviewed Heather Graham. She was gorgeous, and even though her acting wasn't that great in The Flying Machine, it was an awesome experience.

I was flown to New York City for the day for the Tommee Tippee launch, which tops my list of things I didn't think I'd be doing in 2011. A day trip to NYC with some awesome bloggers, complete with lunch in Saks with Marinka and Ali? Pretty awesome.

I admitted my problem with being dependently wealthy, and interviewed Gail Vaz-Oxlade over the phone, later meeting here at BlissDom Canada.

I turned (gulp) 35, and was lucky to have the chance to review the two-floor Presidential suite at the Marriott in Yorkville for my birthday weekend , complete with champagne, balloons, a yummy cake, plenty of shopping, and dinner with my closest friends. It was the best review I've done, and my boys still talk about the two-floor hotel room they ran around in for two days.

I hosted an event for Yellow Pages at the Pantages Hotel in Toronto, too. A trip to Toronto complete with yummy martinis and a room full of fabulous people was another highlight of my year.

Of course, what's a year gone by in the blogging world without some really, really embarrassing pictures being posted for the entire world to see?

I think my jazz hands ends 2011 with a bang, don't you?

Here's to a fantastic, healthy, happy, and successful 2012, everyone!

I hope we can all kick it old school blogging style in the new year (at least, I hope to) and spend more time reading and commenting on the blogs we love. All I want in 2012 is more time to spend with the people I love, and more time to do the things I love doing. Health and happiness, too! And no more snow.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comments

Avitable said…
Sounds like a pretty good year, even if you totally copied my idea to list my top blog posts for the year. :)

Happy new year!
Ann Imig said…
You have so much to be proud of! Here's to another great year.
Lady Mama said…
I love the jazz hands picture! The last shot of you in that post is beautiful. What a great year it's been. Here's to another great one next year. Happy New Year! x
Jessica Heights said…
It sure was a nice year..I wish you the best as we start in to the new one! :)
Marinka said…
Love you.
Having lunch with you and Ali was so awesome. Can't wait to see you in Miami and Toronto next year.
Happy New Year! You are all sorts of awesome and I am so glad to have met you in 2011. xoxo
Stephanie said…
Oh what a year! So thrilled we were able to carve out a wee bit of time together in San Diego. The flight to NYC is very short right? :)
Congrats on a fab year! Cheers to 2012!
EatPlayLove said…
You are one incredibly busy woman! Kudos Lou! I wish you a wonderful 2012!
Unknown said…
Such a great year for you Loukia! SO glad I finally got to hug you in person this year. Heres to a happy and wonderful 2012!!
Oh my god Lou, so many awesome posts! Are you trying to keep me up all night reading them all? I need to sleep, woman. I have holiday fatigue.

But seriously, you are awesome. And I love the pics of you growing up. It's so fun to see the progression into fabulousness :-)
Liz Mays said…
Holy cow, you had an incredibly eventful year. I can't believe you managed to pack all that in. Glad we met even if just for a second at BlogHer! :)
Japolina said…
Great post! Happy New Year
Shell said…
Happy New Year! xo
anymommy said…
Happy New Year!! I've loved getting to know you and can't wait to see how you tackle 2012.
Angella said…
Happy New Year, beautiful! It was great to spend time with you and get to know you. You are Good People.