Skip to main content

Where I'm From

I am from high top sneakers and push down socks, from Fashion Plates and Cabbage Patch Kids, from Rainbrow Brite, see the shining light, and my favourite Lucky Care Bear.



I am from Nerds and Archie comics, a best friend who lived next door, and She-Ra, Princess of Power. I am from banana clips that never stayed in my thick, unruly hair, neon bandanas, and Scooby Dooby Doo, I love you.

I am from brown carpet on the stairs of my old home that I used to pretend was quicksand so we could play Star Wars, falling into Jabba the Hutt's pit.

I am from a living room with giant bay windows, overlooking the forest, and trees swaying in the wind. I am from never ending summer days and building space ships to take us to the moon.

I am from the days of terry cloth dresses and jelly shoes. I am from the little orange television set in our kitchen, the television set that started my fascination with news one cold day in January, 1986, the day the Challenger exploded right before my eyes, tears streaming down my face.

I am from a home that had no fireplace, so Santa wasn't real to me. But the love was plentiful. I am from Monchichi and My Little Pony, and smelling Strawberry Shortcake's hair. I am from a yellow Sony walkman, Debbie Gibson and Tiffany, outfits from Esprit and Benetton, and penny loafers.


I am from the smell of fresh baked bread, big Greek family dinners, and cracking red eggs at Easter. I am from staying up really late to go to midnight mass on Christmas Eve. I am from strong family traditions.

I am from worry and anxiety attacks.

I am from "Be nice to your sister," and "Loukia, did you get in trouble again?"

I am from Greece and Canada, McDonald's as a treat after Greek School on Saturday mornings, and Pastitso baking in the oven on Sunday nights.

I am from bike rides to the 7-11, family picnics at Mooney's Bay, and Mediterranean summers.

I am from Hilroy notebooks filled with cut-out pictures from Bop magazine, dance recitals, jazz hands, and singing camp songs on bumpy buses. I am from shopping trips with my father to buy the very best camping backpack (it was bright blue) for my first—and only, my God—camping trip, complete with tents. I almost got eaten by a bear, I swear.


I am from rubber band and gimp bracelets, mis-matched earrings, and Bonne Bell shimmer lip gloss in a tube, given to me by my favourite babysitter.




I am from rocks and stamp collections, carving soap on my front porch, and collecting spoons from cities I had visited. I am from watching Annie seven million times, and keeping a diary and writing bad poetry when I was 12.

I am from burning my nose on a car lighter in grade 6, and being made fun of every day for weeks on end. "Hi, Rudolph!" they'd all say. I'm from reading my first 'novel' that my mom bought me, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, by Judy Bloom, in the basement of 58 Greenboro. I'm from lying in bed next to my mother and holding on to her hair so she wouldn't leave.

I'm from taking care of my baby sister, running with her in my arms, and dropping her when she was just a baby, head first, into the cold concrete on a Toronto sidewalk, and being yelled at all the way to the hospital.

I am from "But daddy, I promise I won't do it again..." and "Yes, I studied. Yes, I swear." I am from Alyssa Milano hair and crushes on Tony Danza and Kirk Cameron.

I am from a big wooden box filled with pictures of my childhood, the smell of moth balls in my grandmother's chest in her apartment in Greece filled with trinkets and old passports, and memories that are so fresh in my mind, they make me smile.



This writing prompt has been going around the blogosphere this week, and it is such a great trip through memory lane. You really should do this, too—I'd love to read about where you're from.

Comments

heatherty said…
Loved that. Thanks for sharing!
AnatheaT said…
Thanks for taking me back to all the great pop culture references of my generation. Seriously brought a smile to my face. Never would have remembered any of it on my own though!I can also relate to the dance recitals -- I've had enough buns and french braids to last me a lifetime. Thanks for sharing. :)
Nikosmommy said…
Love this Loukia!
THIS IS JUST SO ME (too!) I just turned 34 last month so allll of these references are totally spot on. I forgot about so many of these things but you brought the memories racing back!
Great post!
Chantal said…
Great post Loukia!
Great post! I loved Rainbow Brite when I was little!
Jennifer said…
We are from so much of the same.

What a fun walk down memory lane! Fashion plates! Benetton! Sony Walkman! Banana Clips!
Connie said…
I love this so much! I think we grew up around the same time....
Avitable said…
That was really cool.
Issa said…
Oh how i love these. I am tempted to re-post mine from last year.

It's funny how much of this I relate too.
Loukia said…
This was one of my favorite posts I've written! Thank you.
Oh how I love this, I am from the exact same era. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I cannot wait to me you at BlogHer my love!
I love this! I hadn't seen this - but what a great prompt! (And thank you for reminding me of "Fashion Plates" - I had forgotten!!)
designHER Momma said…
fashion plates! Me too!
Liz Mays said…
I absolutely love that you and I are from the same place!

Did you put a penny in those penny loafers? I did, and it had to be a shiny one, right? lol
Princess Schmamy said…
Wow - that was great... besides the summers in Greece, I think I can relate to all of it! AND fashion plates!! I totally forgot about them and now I want to play with them again!
Fashion Plates!!!! I totally had those and most everything mentioned in your post :) I wish my mom had kept some of that stuff!

Great post :)
Jill said…
Oh how I loved the fashion plates! Seriously wanted to get them for my girls now ...

Oh and monchichi .. and nerds ... and brown carpet stairs.

Oh I can SO relate!! Fun! Totally fun!!!
Alicia said…
Wow, this is fun. Thanks for sharing!
Tonya (@tonya_vallati) said…
LOVE this post!!! You made me teary!!! Thank you for taking me down memory lane...we are from the same place. I love watching my 6 year old daughter grow and the memories, toys, music etc... that will undoubtedly become a big part of her childhood and where she's from.
I am from fashion plates oh my I loved those.

Steph
You had me at Fashion Plates...

I am from roller skating before roller blading...to 7/11. Who am I kidding - like I ever bought roller blades!
Stephanie said…
Oh I LOVE this! So many memories here for me too! I just might have to take your lead and play along!!
Kate Hayes said…
This is great!! Even though I grew up in St. Louis, we seem to have come from the exact same place! (Although I never dropped my baby sister on her head.) Thanks for a fun trip down memory lane!
Oh, hon, this is awesome! I still have my Fashion Plates set!!! My daughter plays with it all the time. :)

I'm doing this too. xoxoxo
Lindsay said…
I had fashion plates and I LOVED it!!! Back in my youth when I dreamed of being a fashion designer ;)
Cat said…
Nice! I met my husband 14 yrs ago and have always called him Mon Chi-chi! :)
Anonymous said…
Hi There,
Great post, but could you please link though to MY original image of the fashion plates. My original post is here:

http://patternoflife.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/texas-treasures/

I'm sure it was an honest oversight on your part.

Thanks!
Carrie :)
Mark said…
How did I miss this posting! What a great poem. I am super a hugely nostalgic person for my childhood and you hit on so many great memories. I am almost 38.