Skip to main content

TOP TEN things blogging has taught me

Blogging is a big part of my life. I've been blogging for over three years now, with no end in sight. I love having an online journal where I can write about anything I want.

I can read things I wrote when my oldest son was only 18 months old, and find out what we were doing on any given day. I love having our lives documented this way. That's just one of the great joys of blogging. Blogging has also taught me a lot.

Without further ado, here is my list of...

The TOP TEN things blogging has taught me:

1. The unexpected surprises life throws your way are suddenly great blog fodder - like the time I found two raw eggs, cracked in the bottom of my Louis Vuitton? Great blog fodder. Add that to the copious amounts of times I've had to clean up poo from a bathtub (ew!) or had to clean up vomit (I don't, really - I'm a deer caught in headlights, so my husband does that nasty pick-up), or the mess one toddler can make when left alone for one minute in the high chair - these life experiences become exciting things to write about!

2. Trying to explain your love of blogging to people who are not bloggers themselves is almost futile. I try. And each time, it fails. Non-bloggers just don't care all that much! They don't get the obsession. (Really, what's wrong with these people?)

3. When you're blogging - reading other blogs or writing posts for your own blog - time passes so quickly, you will not believe it's already 1 a.m. Seriously - sitting in front of a computer screen, blogging, it's as if life is in fast-forward mode. That dishwasher you were supposed to empty after the kids went to bed? You put it off for another day. The laundry you were going to tackle? Nope, not going to get done. Blogging comes first!

4. The relationships that are formed are awesome. The blogosphere is filled with talented, helpful people, other great 'mom' bloggers. I've met quite a few bloggers in real life, and they are just as great as I thought they'd be. Bloggers are the real deal! Friendships are formed, and the connections are great.

5. Comments make me very happy - reading comments from all of my readers really puts a smile on my face. Seeing familiar faces and reading what people have to say about the things I write about is a wonderful thing.

6. Blogging has taught my children to fend for themselves, sometimes. "I'm coming!" I'll say, only to seconds later (okay, fine... 20 minutes later) realize that the fight my boys were in has now been resolved. See why me being busy on the computer is a good thing? My boys are learning to interact without as much involvement from me!

7. Blogging has also taught my four year old a lot about the Internet, and about what a blog is. And I get to hear him say: "No more blogging on your phone, mommy!" Which, of course invokes some MOMMY GUILT!

8. There are some seriously talented bloggers out there. I'm really thankful for these great writers, because they make me want to become a better writer myself. Blogging has taught me that it is important to write it all down. Inspiration, baby!

9. Blogging has also taught me that sadly, I have to censor myself at times. There are far too many 'real' people who read my blog, and sometimes, great blog posts cannot get published. I don't need those types of confrontations, you know? Let's take a moment to mourn the blog posts that will never be...

10. Blogging is so addictive, that sometimes, I even forget to eat dinner! That's a huge bonus - easy weight loss!

Thank you Mama Kat for another fabulous and fun Writer's Workshop!

Comments

Great post! You came up with a lot of great points. I also find that I have to censor myself. There are a few things I'm dying to share, but it'd hurt someone close to me if I did. I've also found that explaining my love of blogging to non-bloggers is a futile attempt. I simply say, it's my thing. That's it. lol
I'm so glad I stopped by. Come on over and take a look at my entry for this week's Writer's Workshop when you get a chance. Have a great day.

Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
@TweetingMama
Unknown said…
I love, love, LOVE your list!

I, too, must censor some of what I write about...and I love how you said lets mourn the posts that will never be...haha!

xoxo
Sarah said…
LOVE IT!
I agree- there is so much I want to say but can't because it would hurt/embarrass/anger people in my real life. Oh the things I wish I could say!
Jessica said…
Great list! I was trying to explain blogging to someone last night and I swear, he thought I was completely insane. I love the stereotype of being a mommy blogger..."what do you do, talk about diapers and babies all day long". Good grief! People have no clue!
Burgh Baby said…
Happy April Fools Day! ;-)
Ah...mourn posts that can never be. That is such an issue with me lately. I want so badly to write about real people in my life...not even meanly, but honestly. They give me great material, but even the thickest skinned person doesn't want to read of a disagreement or issue memorialize on the internet...
Great post - I might have to jump in and make my own.
Unknown said…
Well, I NEVER forget to eat dinner so I can't go along with that one. BUT! My hubs would totally agree with #3 (that I let chores go! ha!)

And yes, definitely mourning the blog posts that will never be...
Pres. Kathy said…
I love your list. I totally agree about not being able to write certain things. Sometimes I still write them and then erase them because when I write things down it makes me feel better!! Have a great day!
Stephanie said…
I too feel like the time just flys by when I get sucked intothe world of blogging. Dishes pile up, laundry forgotten, dare I even say problems put on hold. Sigh.
It is my newest addiciton and I see no end in site.
I do wish I could hear some of those posts of yours that will never be! lol
CalgaryDaddy said…
Great Post! It is so true... especially the part about non-bloggers not getting it!

Shane
Unknown said…
Yep ... sometimes we do have to censor ourselves ;-) Good insight!I'm following you now- stop by my place when you can.
I'm with you on all of them! And yes, I have a lot of posts that will never be too. I so need to do one of these writing workshops with Mam Kat's peeps. They seem like so much fun! I'm so excited to meet you for real at BlogHer!
Miss Welcome said…
Hi! Visiting from Mama Kat's.

I think the hardest thing of all is Mommy Guilt. You hit that one right on the head. It's feels so good to go into adult world for awhile - it's hard to resist.

great work on your blog! I agree people who don't blog just don't get it.
Nikosmommy said…
Yup, I too have fallen in LOVE with blogging. And you are soooo right, non-bloggers don't get it! They look at me like I'm geeky/have WAY too much time on my hands/am totally narcissistic. Oh well, their loss, the online blogging community is great! And I love expressing my thoughts and ideas on whatever it is that's going on in my life that day. Such a great creative outlet!
I like your comment about censoring ourselves. I've gone on some blogs that are not censored (by ACCIDENT of course,) and I have to quickly click the "back" arrow!
Lindsey Petersen
WeaselMomma said…
This is a great and accurate list. I lift my glass to you and the 'great blog posts that will never be written'.
Anonymous said…
I loved this post! I'm going to remember your eggs in the bottom of your LV the next time disaster strikes me...like, probably, this evening.

And, now, I shall take a moment to mourn...
BusyDad said…
How TRUE. All of them. The funniest thing is that a lot of those are why I LOVE blogging. But those same items are why my wife DOESN'T love it when I blog. Sigh...
T Rex Mom said…
I can so relate to much of this - especially when the one when you're trying to talk blogging with someone not into blogging. They just stare blankly.
Great list, I am in awe. Three years! I've been going for 6 months and what I have learned has been so tremendous. Sometimes I feel like I need a second, secret blog just for those unposted posts..maybe we could all band together for a post graveyard?
Parent Club said…
I totally agree with your comments opinion. I LOVE comments.
Lori Carey said…
Love it! I tried explaining the blogosphere/twitter world to someone the other day. They looked at me like I had 3 heads. I bet if you and I sat down, we could talk for hours simply because bloggers "get" other bloggers!

And I also love comments, they make my day and I've been up until 1 (or 2) especially when I was nursing I would just sit and read!

I censor myself too, simply because I have family that reads my blog and well, they don't need to know EVEYRTHING!!
You are so right about the time that gets lost blogging. I cant' tell you how many nights I've stayed up late. I finally had to put a curfew on myself on weeknights!

An egg in your Louie? OH NO!
Jack Steiner said…
I stopped trying to explain blogging to others. They don't get it and that is ok. It is my little cyberspace sandpit and I am cool with that.
Chantal said…
LOL good reasons. I love blogging too. I can almost say it saved my life, it for sure saved my sanity on many an occasion!
Mercy Langille said…
Yep, I know about time flying when reading blogs. I'm trying to limit myself to only reading other blogs once or twice a week so I can get other things done, but it doesn't always happen.
Wow, does time fly. And, add into that designing blogs, too? It is 11pm before I know it.

And, yes, the independent kids....that is definitely a perk.

And, it's almost crazy to me the number of people that don't have blogs..and explaining it to them? Almost impossible.
I totally agree with all of these! In particular the one about explaining to people who don't blog how fungreat blogging is. Sometimes I feel like I tell people I write a blog, and they look at me like I have three heads!
CaraBee said…
All very true! Except the one about missing dinner. :) I have never once been so occupied blogging that I forgot to eat. I love you and all but mama's gotta eat!
Ha! I know what you mean about trying to explain blogging to non-bloggers...they just don't get it! :P
I am so with you all your top ten... all great reasons to love blogging and long may you continue to do so! I've just noticed the weight loss side to it recently - I almost get to school pick up time and realise I haven't eaten lunch - bonus! x
becca said…
I get so frustrated when I try to explain my obsession with blogging to people. I Just don't see what's so hard to understand! And then I get all defensive and annoyed...never ends well.

And I too have many posts in draft form waiting for the day when I have the courage to publish them for the world to read. Or maybe I should just pick up the phone and tell the "real life" people how I feel in person, instead of in writing! Yeah, right...
Hear! Hear! Love your list! I completely agree with the one that says non-bloggers just don't get it!

Have a lovely weekend.

Shelly
Christie said…
#6 I'm slowly raising my quilty hand on this one. But really, it's good for them!
Anonymous said…
I have the good fortune of never having shared my blog with family, so THAT at least is not an issue. However, I do have a friend or two who lurk and it weirds me out a bit. Why read and say nothing?

Anyhow, blogging for me has been therapy. I love writing and reading blogs and I'm amazed by the relationships I've developed and continue to develop.
Fun post Loukia!
Mom2Miles said…
I agree! I've been at this for over 4 YRS, I can hardly believe it. The thing about non-bloggers is so true. They just don't get it. But it's also funny to me that there are all these random people that tell me they read my blog religiously -- like my friend's mom in Iowa, or someone's boyfriend. They are so not the intended audience, but what do I care if they're enjoying it? I've found blogging to be overwhelmingly positive, despite the frequent concerns (non-bloggers) always bring up like privacy, etc.
Jessica said…
Thank you for reminding me of all of the reasons I love to blog! And for making it "real".

I totally get the fast-forward while blogging bit. How is it possible that the time goes so quickly?!

I haven't found a great balance yet. I blog at night, late at night, after the kids are down and the dishes are cleaned. Sometimes (a LOT of times) I don't get to my beloved blogging.

It's bloggers like YOU that inspire me to find my groove in that way! I don't know how you do it!
KatBouska said…
Seriously! RIP to the blog posts that will never see the light of day. I nodded my head through this whole list!
Cynthia said…
Yep...especially to having to censor:/ Sometimes I wish I hadn't told the family about the blog...ah well:)
Anonymous said…
I just love your interviews! One day I'll be a super cool blogger and can be interviewed by you :o)
Elena said…
I love this post because it hits home in so many ways! I often fall into a "blog warp" where the world fades away and I'm in the zone.
Anonymous said…
you saucy minx! checked out this post via your fashion feature on Parenting by Dummies.
I can totally identify with so many of the things on your list.
The "i'm coming" and then 20 minutes goes by? yeah, guilty as charged. ;-)