December is here, and Christmas is just weeks away. I'm getting super excited, and so are my kids. It's pretty much the most wonderful time of the year, but it's also the time of year we might veer a little off the healthy road we're used to. It's easy for our expenses to grow in the month of December, but our waist line doesn't have to! There are simple things we can all do—children included—to stay healthy, even during the oh-so-tempting month of December.
Here are five tips on keeping the entire family healthy during the holidays:
1. Bake cookies, from scratch. Find a really hard recipe so that you'll be too exhausted to take even one bite once they're out of the oven. Isn't this a great way to save calories?
2. Get outside! Have a "who can make the best snowman" competition with the kids. You'll be surprised how many calories you'll all burn. (Be fair. Let them win!)
3. Get some zzz's. Sleep is so important, especially for the little ones who are excited for all the festivities. I could totally use a few more hours of sleep, too—I average four hours of sleep a night... for the last eight years!
4. Drink milk! It's a great snack choice when paired with fruit and vegetables, and you know your kids are getting the nutrients they need. We love Milk Unleashed because it's a safe shelf milk that is packaged in boxes that don't even need refrigeration until they're opened. My kids love milk for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and as a snack in the evenings. And yes—milk goes great with cookies, but just make sure to limit how many everyone has. Everything in moderation!
5. You'll be going to a lot of parties in December. Provide a healthy variety of snacks at home, so everyone in the family can treat themselves at the festive events without feeling too guilty.
Happy and healthy holidays!
Disclosure: I received compensation for this post from Milk Unleashed. All opinions and views are my own.