Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Things I Loved

I've been watching John Hughes movies like I'm a thirtysomething woman going through some sort of almost mid-life crisis. I mean, I'm not, but still, I've been taking a serious trip down memory lane lately.

There is a lot I loved about my childhood and teenage years, and watching my favourite movies like Say Anything, Clueless, Heathers and Reality Bites makes me remember all the things I used to love back in the day.

I loved Christian Slater.



















I loved Pretty In Pink.



















I loved Chachi.















I loved BOP and Tiger Beat.


I loved my Converse running shoes.
I loved teasing my hair even though it looked awful.
I loved Alyssa Milano and Tony Danza and Who's The Boss.
















I loved Kirk Cameron, before he got all, you know, crazy weird.
I loved the Mini-Pops and had a crush on the boy who sang Eye Of The Tiger.

I loved Fashion Plates.
I loved push-down socks and wearing two different earrings to look cool.
I loved that I went through a skater phase even though I have never been on a skateboard in my life.

I loved the smoking section.

I loved skipping class and playing Dominos and cards with my friends in high school.

I loved Friday night school dances, but hated having to wait two agonizing days to see the boy I liked again on Monday morning, when things were always different and weird and not at all sweet and romanatic like they were on Friday night.

I loved passing notes in class. I still have all these notes in a special wooden box.
I loved Nirvana. And the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And Black Sabbath. And Guns N' Roses.

I loved dancing.
I loved Girls Just Want To Have Fun.

I loved that the friends I had back then are still my best friends today. We've really been through it all together.

I loved Top Gun.
I loved River Phoenix.
I loved WHAM!














I love Rainbow Brite, and my Cabbage Patch Kid.
I loved Esprit and Benetton, and shopping with my parents on Sunday afternoons.

It's amazing how much of my childhood and teenage years are still so very clear in my mind. I love my memories, and I love remembering the things I loved.

What about you? What did you love, back in the back?

6 comments:

Avitable said...

I loved Transformers and Star Wars and MAD Magazine.

Wait, I still do.

Stephanie said...

Not only did I love Pretty in Pink I still do! All those old 80s movies, they just don't make them like that anymore:)

Angella said...

I left you a comment this morning and it disappeared. Sigh.

I loved all of the above lady. We're twins!

Issas Crazy World said...

It's always funny when I can tell by a post like this that someone is right around my exact age.

I'd add in 90210. Oh how I loved Jason Preisley.

alimartell said...

ohmigosh. LOVE this. and I loved so many of those things too. We totally could have been teenaged friends.

Alessandrina said...

I loved BOP Magazine, the group Menudo (Ricky Martin was a member), Duran Duran, the 80s movies, my Reebok high top sneakers, school dances, and The Body Shop's DEWBERRY scent! Who remembers that one?! I'd wish they'd bring it back.

Cheers.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs