Skip to main content

The Power Of Awesome

He walked on stage to Fleetwood Mac, and exited to Tom Petty. I mean, really, he had me at hello. Bill Clinton rocked the socks off of us last night, and even though I'm a proud Canadian, I felt like an honorary American, at least for a little while.

How absolutely incredible was his speech, you guys? It was brilliant, and witty, and his words moved an entire nation.

Clinton also bit his lip a lot, like only he can do. (I lost count after a while.) And when he spoke, we were listening...

"I want to nominate a man cool on the outside but burning for America on the inside. A man who believes we can build a new American Dream economy driven by innovation and creativity, education and cooperation. A man who had the good sense to marry Michelle Obama."

Okay, seriously?

He's a charmer, President Clinton is. I believe (and I don't have a political background, except for when I worked for an MP here in Canada) America will vote for Obama for another four years, in my humble opinion. (And coming from a Canadian perspective, where I thank my lucky stars for our free health care, I think it's the right way to go.)

"We Democrats think the country works better with a strong middle class, real opportunities for poor people to work their way into it and a relentless focus on the future, with business and government working together to promote growth and broadly shared prosperity. We think “we’re all in this together” is a better philosophy than “you’re on your own.”


Clinton's entire speech can be found here and you should go read it, if you didn't get to see him rock the Democratic National Convention last night. It actually explains a lot, in terms everyone can understand.

Unless I find myself a job and get a green card, I won't be voting in the US elections this November. And that's cool, because I do love being Canadian, even though we've never had a leader as charismatic as Clinton or as awesome as Obama. (And let's not forget how amazing Michelle Obama was the night before, with her powerful words and awesome J.Crew shoes...)

Anyway, amid jokes last night on Twitter of people being jealous of Monica Lewinsky, all kidding aside, I thought there was a lot of value in what Bill Clinton had to say. I love the way he spoke. He is inspiring, and he's a brilliant story-teller. Had he been a professor at my university, I'd probably have spent a lot less time in Rooster's, and a lot more time in class.

Is Clinton one of the best orators in the world? I guess it's a matter of opinion, but right now I'm going with... hell yes!

Comments

Marinka said…
Love Bill Clinton but OMG about people being jealous of Monica. So glad I missed that.
Loukia said…
Yeah, I agree, Marinka. All anyone has to talk about was how awesome Clinton was doing.
Lindsay said…
He is a genius, and one of the best books I've ever read was "My Life". If you haven't read it, you should. He has the power to energize our complacent Democratic base. And I am so in love with that man!