Skip to main content

What's Next? (And All About Mom 2.0)

I had a pretty rough weekend. I was in Key Biscayne, Miami, at the Ritz-Carlton, with several hundred other bloggers and movers and shakers in the world of social media, the arts, and publishing for the annual Mom 2.0 Summit.

It is pretty inspirational how much we can do when we are passionate about something. The good we can accomplish with our determination and drive to make positive change is well... pretty awesome. This view from the Ritz took my breath away, and so did much of what I was lucky enough to hear, thanks to my amazing sponsors that made it possible for me to attend: Volkswagen Canada, IKEA, Tommee Tippee, and Kellogg's.


What did I take from this particular blogging conference? So much. I am still processing everything, and to be quite honest, listening to people like Brene Brown, Karen Walrond, Lee Rhodes, Liz,  Liz Lange, Gretchen Rubin, and Pilar Guzman (the editor-in-chief of Martha Stewart Living) speak was a bit overwhelming.

I left Miami feeling inspired, a bit scared, and asking myself the question: What's next? In my personal life and in my professional life, I'm excited, and I'm ready to take a risk. What does this mean, exactly? Like I said, I'm still processing it all. But one thing I have always found to be true is this: taking a risk, making the jump, and asking for what you want is never wrong. I tend to follow my heart, and I've found that by doing so, dreams can come true.

I enjoyed the intimacy of this conference, and I thought the location was perfection. I loved re-connecting with old friends like Jessica, (my very first BlogHer roomie... awww...) and spending more time with the Canadian crew, Kathy, Erica, Maureen, Nadia, Julie, and Candace. I find all these incredible women and moms to be beyond inspiring.





I was excited to be sharing a room with Marinka and Stacy, and am even more excited to report I never once snored, despite what Marinka may say, ahem. I did wake up with a pillow on my face one morning, but maybe I imagined that? We had a great time, and I loved sharing a room with these awesome ladies. We had some great discussions.

I was also so thrilled to finally meet the lovely Jill, who loves fashion and shopping as much as I do (kindred spirits, I tell you) and who had the most adorable outfits I've ever seen a pregnant woman wear. She is pure awesome. I loved seeing Nicole from Momtrends again, too, who is an absolutely beautiful person, and makes me want to spend the day shopping with her.


Of course, there were tears, because when are there not, at a blogging conference, right? I loved the 7 minute sessions and listening to these speakers on a variety of different topics was moving.

I attended my first blog conference in 2010, three years after I started my blog, and that BlogHer conference was quite memorable. My first Mom 2.0 conference was just as awesome. I've actually never left a conference disappointed, because I'm always surrounded by amazing poeple. Also, you make it what you want it to be.

I'm a little sad I missed Saturday night's party at the Versace mansion in South Beach, though, I always used to take pictures outside the house whenever I visited South Beach, and to have the chance to see beyond the front doors? Wow. I'm also bummed I didn't hear fellow Canadian funny lady Sam Bee speak. However, to be able to kiss my children on Saturday night was a bit more awesome than even a party at that address. I'm Queen of the Mommy Guilt club, in case you didn't know. Also, had I not left on Saturday, I wouldn't have by total random coincidence ended up on the same plane home as my parents, who were returning from Cancun.

If you're considering going to Mom 2.0 next year, GO. Just, go. It's taking place at the Ritz Carleton, Laguna Niguel. You have a year to make it happen, so you know, make it happen. You'll leave feeling like you can do more than you thought you were capable of.

Till next time!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like you had an amazing time! Any chance I'll get to run into you at Blogher this year?
Queen said…
I've been thinking it might be time for me to try to pull off going to a conference! Glad to hear you had such a great time!
designHER Momma said…
and now I think I need to go next year. I've never been to CA and this might be the perfect reason to finally visit!
Avitable said…
I'm *not* going to use this comment to point out that you misspelled "people". I will say, however, that it seems like it was a fun time and I wish I could have gone.
Looks like you had a lot of fun. A conference where there is sand, sun and surf is always on my list. I must look into going next year :D
Candace Alper said…
Loukia, I loved being there with you, sharing and taking it all in together. You made the right decision for you going home when you did. I hope that your confessed Mommy Guilt subsides and that next time, you'll take the leap and that one of your "next" moments will be to alleviate that guilt altogether. See your soon. xo
Alexandra said…
Oh, you look like such a natural in Florida.

I imagine I'd feel so different with the sun, the breeze, the patio eating...the amazing women.

I wish I could go to every conference there was: but just can't happen.

The women that attended this one? FABULOUS.

I love reading these recaps. Thank you.
Mom101 said…
It was great to see you too, Loukia. I'm so glad you got so much out of it--even if there were no sun and no shopping. That's probably the best part of all.
OHmommy said…
So so so sad I missed it. Glad you had a blast!
Marinka said…
eks oh, eks oh!
Titania Jordan said…
It was so nice to meet and share a cab with you! I look forward to seeing you at the next one. :) Great pictures!
Stephanie said…
Oh this is one conference I would have loved to go to! So glad you had a great time and now we can start the countdown to BlogHer!
Wasn't it inspiring! Great seeing you and I hope you'll come to Blogher in August.
AMAZING! I so wanted to go this year - but next year YES I will make it happen. xo
Rough weekend indeed! ;) Looks like you had a blast, lady. So deserved.
Unknown said…
Wow, that does look like an amazing location! And a good conference is always well... really GOOD! Glad you had a good time!