Skip to main content

Love

There are many things in life that annoy me. I mean, like really annoy me.

Of course, those are the things I blog about when I want to complain. I have a lot in common with George Carlin, you know. Top of that list? Having major psychotic f*cking hatreds towards things, not just minor pet peeves. People who can't drive? People who are mean?  People who don't understand elevator etiquette? People who can't operate a revolving door? People who are ignorant? People who do gross and obnoxious things in their office when other people are around? People who don't read? People who don't know what's going on beyond their own backyard? Yeah, combine that with a bad day (i.e. waking up late, a rainy day, a bad hair day, zero job security, a fight with my spouse, an ill child, five pound weight gain, nothing to wear, depression) and well, my pet peeves can take a turn for the worse.

There is always something awful on the news that can make me seriously depressed, and there is always something to think about to turn my sunshine day into a gloomy one. It isn't hard to think about a sad story, or to worry about something to the point that it affects your day. What is hard, though, is looking past the gloom and doom and just being happy in the present. Even though there are a lot of things I don't like, there are a lot of things that make me happy.

And there are a lot of things I love.

I love fresh picked flowers given to me by my four year old, just because.
I love eating movie theatre popcorn in my family room, watching trashy television shows.
I love watching old favourite movies, like Heathers.
I love Christian Slater and Winona Ryder.
I love thinking about high school and knowing if I could go back today, I wouldn't change a single thing.
I love watching my six year old play with his friends and seeing what a big boy he's become.
I love listening to my four year old play the drums.
I love hearing the few words my children still mispronounce, like me-magine for imagine, and ba-lack for black. I'll never correct them.
I love watching my boys in their swimming lessons.
I love to death this commercial that makes me cry every time I watch it.
I love the Olympics, and not just because the Greeks invented them.
I love soccer, and people with passions.
I love how great a father my husband is to our children.
I love my family, and our dysfunctionalness that makes us so awesome.
I love shopping, and I love ModCloth like crazy. I had to blog about it, and my online shopping addiction, even.
I love summer, and dresses, and flip flops, and tanned skin, and coconut smell.
I love chocoate chip ice cream.
I love planning vacations, and going on vacation.
I love swimming in the ocean.
I love sleeping with the balcony doors open, listening to the waves.
I love my awesome friends.
I love reading a good book and knowing when it's finished, another one is waiting for me to start.
I love Gale. (Why, Katniss, why?)
I love the many incredible people I've met because of blogging.
I love funny peoople who make me laugh.
I love 80's movies.
I love many, many movies, actually.
I love music to my core.

I love a lot of things, too many to list here, but you get the idea. "When I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favourite things, and then I don't feel... so bad."

What do you love?

Comments

Unknown said…
This reminds me of a book that I have that came out when I was in high school, I think. It was simply called "14,000 Things to be Happy About" and it was a list of just that.

I love my family and my new iPad. Oh and the chocolate chip cookies that I made today.

Good reminder to LOVE, Loukia. Thank you!
Dianne/Smilenwaven said…
This is great... hope all your LIKES make your day a fabulous one! :)
Kathryn said…
Reading blogs where people write honestly ~ like here. Thanks for this. I have been composing a list like this in my head now for awhile :)
Stephanie said…
Oh I love this post! I love that summer is truly just around the corner and then it will be time to start planning our next winter getaway!!
Now off to check out ModCloth!
I love lots of stuff too. Like Lululemon right now. I need to stop loving on that. Badly!
Lady Mama said…
I love getting a pedicure, spending time with my kids, the smell of newly cut grass, getting flowers, coffee in the morning, reading a great book... and lots of other things I can't think of right now! It's great to focus on the things we love even though there are always inevitably things that annoy us. :)
Liz Mays said…
That's a good technique to turn a bad situation around. I love the smell of freshly cut grass and the sound of children playing outside. That always does my heart good.
Brittany said…
I love Love lists. I need to make one too. To glance at when I am feeling blue. And yes, I love Heathers. And Christian Slater and Winona. And...Johnny Depp. So much.
Angella said…
This made me smile. HUGE.

(I love Gale, too. Peeta is too wee.)
Marta said…
My son says barbe-que-que and I think its the best thing ever. Even if he's old enough to pronounce it correctly.

I'm still thinking about that white modcloth dress you tweeted a few days ago. I pinned it and occasionally look at it. I'd buy it but I don't know what size to get it in as i'm hoping to "lose weight" (like everyone else in the world.)

Also PEETA FOR THE WIN!
designHER Momma said…
I love a lot of your same loves. Can I admit something? I've never shopped ModCloth. It's a good thing? I need to know. I do get 85% of my clothes online...
Anonymous said…
I love your list of loves.

Sometimes it's really the small things that can turn a bad day around.

I love it when my DD says it's naptime and then falls asleep snuggled up behind me.