Thursday, January 5, 2012
A new year... a new me!
It's the beginning of January. Which means one thing: it is so cold that every time I step outside my tears of sadness turn into ice and stay frozen to my face, and I'm not even kidding you. It is pretty miserable out there right now. Waking up and scraping ice off my car every morning on my drive to work only to hear on the radio: "It's currently minus 30 degrees celsius, and there is a frostbite warning in effect" makes me just weepy, and makes me question why my grandparents didn't get off the boat a little more... south, somewhere.
January also means many of us are making New Year's Resolutions!
I don't like to make resolutions because I know that by March I'll forget all about them and then I'll get mad at myself for not following through with my resolutions.
However, this hasn't stopped me, and once again, I'm starting off the year the same way I always do: (aw, tradition...)
I'm on a diet! And I'm hitting the gym EVERY DAY! This time, for more than a week! EVERY DAY except on weekends! You can do it, Loukia! And truth be told, because of an upcoming trip to my favourite place on earth (Hello, Florida! Hello, Mom 2.0 in May!) I am actually probably going to stay committed to this plan, because hello, bikini!
I have other resolutions, too, though. That as of yet have not been fully implemented, but I am a strong believer in "It's the thought that counts, so don't beat yourself up if you fail!"
Here are my top 12 New Year's Resolutions for 2012:
1. I will swear less, especially in front of my children. I say fuck way too often in front of my kids, and I promise to stop. Unless I'm dealing with really dumb people on the road while I'm driving.
2. I promise to not bake any more cookies. (Anyone need any cute cookie cutters?)
3. I will bring my lunch to work at least three times a week.
4. I will go to the doctor and talk about my anxiety and fears.
5. I will make more time to blog, and to do the things I love doing.
6. I will get through reading the stack of books on my night table before buying any new books.
7. I will go to bed before 1 a.m.
8. I will learn to have more patience.
9. I will stop crying every time I watch shows like Grey's Anatomy and Parenthood, or I'll stop watching these shows altogether, and stick to funny shows, like Modern Family.
10. I will keep the computer turned off when I'm home with my children.
11. I will spend less money. This means I will shop less. Gulp.
12. I will yell less, and smile more.
I hope these resolutions won't be too hard to keep, even though I know there will be some struggles along the way, especially with spending less money.
I will try really hard to make sure this year, I do what I say I am going to do. I'm hopeful that 2012 will be a great year. And the only thing that truly matters? Health and happiness, for my family and loved ones.
What are you going to do in 2012? What are your New Year's Resolutions?
Thanks to the always fabulous Mama Kat for the inspiration with this week's writing prompt!