Skip to main content

A weekend to celebrate!

Last Friday after work, I rushed home to see my boys and spend some time with them before going out for drinks with some friends, one of whom is an award-winning parenting author. Ahem. Whenever I go out with these girls, we always have a great time.


The night was fabulous, and the laughs were plentiful. It was the beginning of a very good weekend...

I fell asleep at 2 a.m., and then the phone rang. At exactly 5:30 a.m. Nothing will shake you out a hangover faster than your mom phoning at an ungodly hour to say:

"It's mom! Your sister is in the hospital, her water broke! Get the kids and let's go let's go let's go!"

After hanging up the phone, I rolled over and fell back asleep. Chances were very good that no baby would be making an appearance before 9 a.m. Certainly not before I had my coffee!

When I woke up I went into nesting mode on behalf of my sister, and spent the morning cleaning my house from top to bottom, while at the same time playing with my children and planning all the things we had to do that day to get ready for my son's 6th birthday party the next day. That's right. Hosting a big birthday party the same weekend my sister was having her baby and also the same weekend my in-laws were leaving for Greece for a few months, one week before I leave for San Diego? I guess you could say things were a little hectic!

I was brave enough to venture to Michael's, Bulk Barn, and the party store with my children to pick up the things we needed for the next day's festivities, all the while feeling incredibly anxious for my sister and mentally checking things off my to-do list while trying to not buy 2 giant Dora balloons for my three year old, who had a melt down in the balloon aisle. Of course, I bought the balloons, which he then proceeded to let go of so he could watch them float away into the sky. Just like that, fifteen dollars escaped his little hands and floated up, up up...

I dropped the kids off at home (my husband was on stand-by!) and I went to spend some time with sister. She wasn't having her baby, so my mom and I went for lunch. As I left and headed for home, I received another frantic phone call:

"Hurry back! She's having the baby!"

I rushed home to pick up my family and made it to the hospital just in time.

Finally, a baby was born! I spent the next hour holding my new nephew and inhaling the most delicious baby smell, thinking about how it was when I was in the same room giving birth to my children, and thinking about how quickly time passes. Baby fever? Almost, I'd say!



The next day, after spending more time with the newest member of our family, I was ready to celebrate my son's 6th birthday party with extended family members and cousins. (His 'friends' party is taking place next weekend!)




We were doing a pirate/treasure hunt theme this year, complete with pool party and big backyard BBQ. The best way to celebrate a summer birthday, right?

I loved seeing his expression when he saw the cake I ordered for him - this was one amazing treasure chest birthday cake! The best part? It tasted so good!





My son officially turns 6 years old next Monday. I have a blog post ready to go about that, of course. My boys keep me laughing all day long, and now with another baby in our family to love, my heart is pretty full of happiness. The fact that my sister had her baby a week early just for me (thanks, baby J!) makes me extra happy, too. (I still can't believe it's her SECOND baby in a year!) I'm glad I don't have to stress about missing the baby's birth when I'm San Diego for BlogHer next week. Now, I can officially (almost) relax by the pool, drink in hand...

Comments

Michelle said…
That is one PACKED weekend! Congrats on your new nephew!
Anonymous said…
i was just thinking omg i feel like i just read about your sister having the first baby ! Congrats on being an aunt ...again! And i just had to laugh about your son and the $15 escaping his hands....hahahhaa....i could just picture my 3 yr doing that too ....we had a similar incident of her throwing a brand new toy out the car window while I was on the freeway :(
Anonymous said…
And happy bday to you son as well!!!!!!!!!!!!
CMURPHY said…
Congrats to your wonderful and beautiful Sister on the birht of her baby boy! & Congrats to Super Mom for doing all that you did in that time frame! It really goes to show that Mom's do rock it when they want to sending <3 to your whole family and the new addition
Crystal :)
Unknown said…
I THOUGHT your sister had recently had a baby! Wow, they are close in age!

You're a great aunt, Loukia!

And that treasure chest, cake? Awesome!

You did have a crazy weekend girl!
Abby said…
That IS a cool cake! And congrats on your new nephew! Two babies in a year?! Math was never my strong suit but it took me a minute to realize that's even possible. ;)
Sarah said…
Congratulations on your nephew (is this your sister's 2nd baby - I seem to remember her having another quite recently?). Looks like your son had an awesome birthday. I love the pirate cake! And I really must remember to buy my son's cake next time instead of trying (and not succeeding) to make it like I usually do!
crazypants said…
So exciting to have a new bambino around! It's great to see the boys growing... they seemed so much smaller when I started reading you a couple of years ago. Sigh...
Momo Fali said…
It is probably wrong that it makes me feel better to know that someone else has a life as crazy as mine!