Skip to main content

On being a mom

Life begins all over again when you cross the threshold into motherhood. It's impossible to understands what it means to be a mom until you become one. The change is unreal, and sudden, and your life gets divided into before and after. The before is fuzzy for a long while after your baby is placed in your arms. Life changes drastically. I always appreciated and loved my mom, but once I become a mom myself, we became even closer.

When I was pregnant for the first time, I believed that once I got out of the first trimester, the worry would go away. Then I was thirteen weeks pregnant, and I was just as worried as the week before. I ate well; my husband made me salmon at least one a week, I ate more vegetables than any other time in my life, I took my Materna daily, and I indulged in McFlurries during every episode of The Amazing Race. I also slept a lot. Which is a good thing, since it's been almost six years since I last slept.

When my son was born, I was a basket-case for the first few weeks. I didn't know what to wear, I was unsure of how to hold my baby, I didn't want any visitors, and I bought stock in Purell. Leaving the house with a baby in tow was a challenge and caused me much anxiety at first.

Becoming a mom means leaving all inhibitions behind. I breastfed my baby in a fancy steak house one night, nothing I'd ever thought I'd do. But there I was, a new mom, eating a well done filet mignon, talking to the owner of the steak house about how yummy my food was, all the while nursing my baby. Life changes in ways you never thought possible.

When my second baby was born, I was much more at ease. I didn't mind my best friends coming to visit me in the hospital, I was confident that I could take care of my newborn, and I knew what to wear those first few weeks at home. Heck, I even got my hair done three weeks after brining baby home. I was no longer in the mommy amateur club.

Still, life with two small childen was, and is, no easy task. Every day, it's challenging. Being a mom is the only job on earth that never ends. Never mind that we don't get much sleep to begin with, or that there is always someone who needs help with something, or that the house always needs tidying, it's a non-stop job even when you're apart from your children. They're always in your thoughts. The worry is unmeasurable. The love, indescribable. It's the best job in the whole world, too. It's a daily wonderful adventure. The under-the-cover snuggles, the feeling of pride you feel when you watch your child in the classroom, the love shown between siblings, the laughter, the hugs, the sheer joy of it all. I could go on forever.

Being a mom is simply... awesome. And I am so lucky.



Happy Mother's Day to you all!

Comments

Alicia xoxxo said…
This post brought tears to my eyes! I am 9 weeks away from being a first time mom and I am starting to get anxious! Not to mention the dreams that I have started having in which I am totally and completely incompetent! I too thought the worry would stop after first trimester! Yeah, right! I have a whole new appreciation for mothers! Great post!
Alicia said…
I felt the same way with my first. I can't wait to have a 2nd child and enjoy those early days a little more :) Happy Mother's Day!
Lindsay Rudolph said…
You nailed it! Being a mom is the best job ever and the only job I want for the rest of my life. Glad to know that #2 was a little less stressful. We are thinking about having another soon!! Have a great weekend!
Unknown said…
Happy Mother's Day to you too Loukia! You are a wonderful mother to your boys. xoxo
Issa said…
I love this post.

I used to think that the worries got easier as they got older. They really don't. I can't control everything my nine year old sees or hears anymore.

This mothering gig is freaking hard. Worth it. But hard.
Ash said…
I read this post while feeding my fourth and final baby. I almost cried!! You put my feelings into words perfectly! Happy Mother's Day!
Stephanie said…
"Being a Mom is the ony job that never ends." LOVE it:) So true. Happy Mother's Day to one of the sweetest funniest Mama's I know!
Beautiful!! Happy Mothers' Day to you too!! Hope you and your precious boys have a wonderful day. :-)
Unknown said…
Oh my goodness- this has to be the sweetest Mother's Day post- You couldn't have said it any better- re:motherhood

I'm new to your blog- I'm off to check out the rest of your cute blog- Please visit my blog-


Kelly

http://kellyannstudio.blogspot.com/
I can't remember life before sometimes... I mean, I do - but it's like a dim reality. I have wonderful memories of before - ones where I'm younger, thinner, less wrinkled, less married, less encumbered by fear and worry about everything bad that could happen in the world... But I never had any idea how much you can love someone unconditionally. That experience of a mother's love is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I don't imagine I'll ever find anything to match it.
You couldn't have said it better! Being a mom is the best thing in the world! Happy Mother's Day!
Make Mommy Chic said…
You captured every sentiment ghat I have felt as a mom of two young boys. Thanks so much for the post:)
CaraBee said…
Being a mother is the hardest, most rewarding job there is. I wouldn't change my life for a second. Happy (belated) mother's day!
Abby said…
"Being a mom is the only job on earth that never ends." This is a lesson I keep learning over & over. I always think there will come a day when I can just relax, but no. Good thing it's totally worth it! Happy Mother's Day to you, too. :)
Mominrome said…
ah ah!!!
I am about to have my first baby girl and ....I have no idea of how it is going to be!! :)

HELP NEEDED.
I loves your post and I agree with every single word. Motherhood rocks!