Skip to main content

Pure happiness

You know that feeling when you heart is going to burst because you're that happy? And your happiness is a result of seeing your child so happy their heart is about to burst? That's the kind of happiness we experienced this weekend, when we took our son to the Royal Canadian Mint on a tour. Seeing your children happy is the best feeling on earth. It's a million times more amazing than the happiness that comes from a great shopping trip. (Even though a great shopping trip is pretty awesome, too.)



My oldest son has four piggy banks and each one holds money for specific things: spending, sharing, saving and schooling. He most recently used some of his 'saving' money and bought his baby niece something when we were in Florida. We spent over an hour looking for the perfect 'something' to gift her with.

He often counts his money, while learning about math and the value of a dollar at the same time. We took a tour of the Mint a few years ago, before my five year became fascinated with coins, currency and gold bars.

A few years ago, you could say he enjoyed the tour of the Hershey's chocolate factory more, and really—could you blame him? This time, though, he got dressed with care, brushed his teeth with no complaints, and could hardly contain his excitement on the drive there.



Having recently received his very own one ounce gold bar (his first investment piece, aww...) he wanted to see first-hand how these bars were made. Right here in the city he lives in!



At one point during the tour, I looked over at him and saw him listening intently, with a little smile on his face, and I had to hold back my tears. I didn't want to look like the weirdest mom ever on this tour by bursting into tears, you know? But it warmed my heart, to see him so happy. That's one of the best parts about being a mom. I'm not ashamed to say that my happiness is their happiness, and I do whatever I can to make sure they're always happy. Even if it means giving in when I know I'm not supposed to.

After the tour, he got to hold one very heavy gold bar. "It weighs as much as Dimitry!" he said, laughing. He was very impressed, and wished he could take it home. (Me too, sweetheart, me too...)



Later, when we went for lunch downtown, he told us how much he loved the tour, and that it was even more fun than the dinosaur museum—another one of his favourite places to visit.



We have family memberships to every museum in the city, and our weekends are often spent at one of them, making memories and watching our children explore and learn new things. It's a world of discovery for them, and I love having front-row seats to each new experience they have. Nothing warms my heart more.

Comments

It sounds like you had a blast! It is great that he is so interested in this stuff! He could probably teach me a thing or 2! ;) P.S. Love the picture with his face in the coin!
Love it :)

I agree. Seeing my children incredibly happy often brings me to tears :)
Liz Mays said…
That warms my heart to hear about this. I know exactly what you're talking about when you said you could have cried.
Make Mommy Chic said…
What a sweet post Loukia! You're right, there is nothing that melts your heart more than to see your children happy. The twinkle in my son's eye when he's on the is worth a million bucks to me. Thanks so much for sharing!
Alicia xoxxo said…
What a cutie pie!!! Sounds like a good time!!!
Lady Mama said…
I think your son is going to be some kind of entrepreneur. He obviously has a natural interest in money. My husband would LOVE to take our boys to the Royal Canadian Mint. He likes bars of gold too! (who doesn't?) Looks like you had a really fun day out. And yes, I totally understand nearly bursting into tears with motherly pride! I've almost done that a few times too. :)
Emily Krbec said…
Awesome! Love the 4 piggy bank idea. He is going to make one very organized, very intelligent man!
Scary Mommy said…
So sweet. You are such a good mom. :)
Rebecca said…
his face says it all!! How awesome and sweet. Living life through them (and with them) is such a special thing
That is awesome. And yes, don;t we all want a bar of gold that weighs as much as our children? We are museum junkies too and I would not have it any other way!
EatPlayLove said…
what a great moment!
Mom2Miles said…
Awww! Sounds like the perfect outing for him. I just love how kids develop their own individual obsessions. And I know what you mean about seeing your kids happy. I could never imagine that feeling before experiencing it myself. Have you seen those commercials where they surprise the kids & tell them they're going to Disneyworld? I choke up every time.
I've had those experiences too, where I've had to hold back tears of joy seeing my kids so happy. Just makes the heart kersplode.

You are an awesome mom, and he's going to be great with money as he grows older. I should bring my kids to our Royal Canadian Mint (yup, we have the other one over here in Winnipeg!).

xo
Loukia said…
Nenette, I know! Your mint makes all the currency that is in circulation, our mint makes the gold bras and special edition coins and we made the Vancouver 2010 medals, too!
Shana said…
Sweet post! What a great experience for him!!!
Nolie said…
I can't wait to get out there and get museum memberships. The ones here are not as good.