Skip to main content

African Cats

I was sitting in the movie theatre a few weeks ago anxiously awaiting the start of some movie (can't remember which one—I have a terrible memory, and plus, I mostly go for the popcorn, anyway) and a preview for African Cats appeared on the big screen.
Within seconds, I was crying. And almost choking on my popcorn, which we all know is like the number one killer. You know how those kernals get stuck in the weirdest place under your tongue and nothing gets them un-stuck? Anyway. As I was almost dying, I was also wiping away my tears, because the preview for the movie was so emotional!

The music, (in case you're wondering, the song in the trailer is Life Is Beautiful, by Vega 4) along with the images of the African cats taking care of their babies, nearly did me in. African Cats is a true story that takes places in, you guessed it, Africa. Right away, you know it's going to be a breathtakingly beautiful movie to watch, but what's even more amazing is that the movie is a true story.

The movie is narrated by one of my favourite actors, Samuel L. Jackson, and the story revolves around Mara, a little lion cub who strives to grow up with her mother's strength, (see, I'm tearing up already) spirit, and wisdom; Sita, a cheetah and single mother of five mischievous newborns; and Fang, a proud leader of the pride who defends his family from a rival lion and his sons.

I totally imagine The Lion King, only in real life. Of course, since this IS a Disney movie, I expect that we are all going to cry.

There are many wonderful perks to blogging, like receiving advanced screening passes to movies I know my children will love. When I was asked if I wanted to attend the advanced screening of African Cats, I said yes right away. My oldest son will be completely captivated by this movie, so we're definitely going to bring him. I think this movie is not suitable for my three year old, though, and knowing his attention span, (although he can watch Home Alone over and over again) we'll leave him home for this one.

African Cats is the third release from Disneynature—the first two, if you remember, were Earth, and Oceans. Both movies truly amazed me.

African Cats opens nationwide on April 22nd—Earth Day!

I've been given two family passes to the advanced screening of African Cats—a family four pass for Ottawa, taking place on April 18th at 7 p.m., and a family four pass for the Toronto screening, taking place on the same day, at the same time. (I'll email the details to the winners!)

If you would like to see African Cats a week before everyone else, just leave me a comment and I'll pick the winner Friday, April 15! (Just let me know if you want to go to the Ottawa or Toronto screening.)


Hakuna Matata!


Comments

Darrin said…
African Cats looks awesome. And narrated by Samuel L. Jackson? Count me in!

Thanks!
Shakira Whitton said…
I am such a sap when it comes to movies like this! I would love to go see African Cats!! Thanks for the contest :)
Georgina said…
Would love to see this with my little guy!!
Our Kids Media said…
This movie looks amazing and is also a great educational film for the whole family to watch. Thank's for posting the contest, great idea.
Jennifer said…
I saw that trailer too and almost choked up! Looks awesome and I'd love to win the Toronto four pass!
garfan1 said…
would love to see this movie in toronto, looks greast
Robina said…
We love the DisneyNature movies! This is going to be fantastic - as always :)

What theatre in Ottawa is doing the premiere?
alingunns said…
Awesome! I'd love to see African Cats in Toronto.
joanna ruth said…
I was in Kenya while Disney were filming this and have been literally counting the months until it came out (love that tear-jerking trailer!) - I'll be bringing lots of Kleenex... I'd love to see it in Toronto.
Adil said…
i have watched both of the other disney nature films, would like to do a trifecta
Sober Julie said…
My family and I would LOVE to see it in Toronto
Nic said…
Looks like a lovely movie we'd really enjoy. I would like to be entered for Toronto.
Stephanie said…
Oh it looks amazing!! Wish you had tickets for London:)
Alyssa said…
My daughter would love this movie! Ottawa please!
Anonymous said…
This sounds awesome. My kids would love this. Animal lovers, and impressed me recently with sitting in awe through the entire showing of CATS at the NAC. ;)
toronto310 said…
i love everything disney, and their nature films so far have been amaing
toronto