Skip to main content

5 years...

My firstborn child. When you were born, my life changed in ways I never imagined. I could not stop staring at you. I actually did not sleep for 48 hours, which started to worry my family, but I was too afraid to close my eyes. You were perfection.

When I went back to work when you were only 6 months old. I knew you would be in great hands being looked after by both your grandparents and great-grandparents. Still, I stayed up the night before returning to work writing out detailed notes to the family that would be looking after you.

Notes like:

Christos wakes up around 7. Give him a warm bottle of milk, and then take him downstairs. He loves to be carried into the kitchen and family room, and he loves watching me open the curtains and blinds. We do this together and he loves it! Next, play with him. He loves his little musical train that moves and his blocks. Feed him some cereal for breakfast, making sure it's not too hot, and then take him for a walk. He should nap around 9 a.m., in his crib...



Every day, you do things that amaze me.

You've just turned 5, and yet, you're wiser than most children double your age. You know most of the periodic table of elements, because you love to learn new things. You know how to use our ipad already. You ask questions all the time, storing new knowledge in your head, never forgetting. You love the Discovery Channel.

You could list the order of the planets in our solar system in under a minute, and you love to play 'gems and jewels' store. You love to go on fossil finding expeditions. You love visits to the library, and sitting at home reading your new books. You build towers with your lego that we proudly display on our bookcase for months on end. You write your name and each time you do, my heart swells with amazement. I think you're going to be our scientist, while your brother becomes the new Schumacher.

The new career you're chosen for youself? Paleontologist. I think that's an upgrate from your last chosen career, constuction worker. Although no matter what you become, I will support, love and respect you until the end of time. (As long as you finish University first!)

You protect your little brother, and always give in when he wants his way. It's not fair, is it? Yet, with nothing more than a sigh, you let your adorable brother get his way. He loves you, so, so much. Seeing you two together makes me the happiest person ever.

You're the strongest child I know, having had to go throught so much already, including several hospital stays, surgery, a chest tube, countless numbers of x-rays and ultrasounds and lots of IV's from when you had a severe case of pneumonia. You've changed me, baby boy, and I worry now more than ever before.

You love to collect rocks, sea shells, and special coins, and you have specific shelves in your room to display your favourite things like family pictures, snow globes from places you've travelled to, and gold coins you say you'll never use. The only thing you want for your birthday is a solid gold bar.

You are an observer, a thinker, and a conflict avoider. Once shy, after finishing your first year of kindergarten, you're more outgoing and love playing with your friends. You are becoming more independent every day.

You love soccer and you love to swim. You love your father in such a fierce way I sometimes get jealous. But when you call out 'mommy' in the middle of the night, I come running, each and every time.

I cherish our conversations and your laughter, and your little boy ways.




Happy Birthday my love. I love you more each and every day, forever.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome post.....both your boys are absolutely adorable! Happy Birthday to him !!!!!!!!
Karma & Adam said…
Beautiful post, Loukia. Happy Birthday to your first baby - sounds to me like you have cherished each and every moment, exactly as it should be : )
Cutie pie! Happy birthday C - and also to you L (your anniversary of becoming a mother is pretty special too!)
Gina said…
Such a sweet post - happy 5th!!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful Post! My little man turns five in 9 days - and he sounds so much like your little guy. He wants to be a Paleontologist, too.
CaraBee said…
What a sweet post! You have a very special boy! Happy Birthday to Christos!
Sarah @lovelaughshop said…
Great post Loukia! I need to get back to blogging about family again. Both of my boys just had birthdays and this post makes me want to write to them!
Nydia said…
What a beautiful post! I have one little boy and I've written him a few letters. These are the best letters we'll ever write as mothers, doesn't it seem? =) I think it's cause we're so passionate and in love with our babies and we know them better than anything! the words just flow ... I like the pictures but absolutely LOVE the one w/ his little brother! How cute! Makes me more open to the idea of having a second baby when I see existing siblings like this =)

Very well put together! This was my note to him on his 5th birthday: http://www.polymerclaysnails.com/?p=1191 ... in case you want to check it out!
So sweet. Happy Birthday to your little man!
What a special post for a special boy! Happy birthday!
Jennifer said…
Sweet post! Your little boy sounds so smart!
Jessica said…
So beautiful, Lou! The writing, the boy, everything. It's so bittersweet watching them grow up!

Happy birthday, sweet Christos! xx
So perfect and sweet! he is a doll!
rachel... said…
So sweet! I'm very impressed by the periodic table of elements and I love that he wants to be a paleontologist. My oldest daughter went through a very looooong paleontology phase around Christo's age! How funny that he wants a solid gold bar for his birthday! (And did he get one?? ;)

Hope he had a spectacular birthday!
Babitosdad said…
Great post, Loukia. Very sweet. I can tell you're a very loving Mommy.
Ameena said…
Happy Birthday to your little one...he is adorable. I can't believe he wants to be a paleontologist already!

I really love this post, you have a way with words.
OMG, Loukia, your post made me cry. :) I just had to go and hug my little first born too. The love, oh, honey, the LOVE just pours out of that post.

Happy 5th Birthday, Christos! May all your birthday wishes come true.
And happy 5th anniversary of motherhood to you, Loukia. :)

xo