Skip to main content

Brothers

Suddenly, I noticed a change - a change in the volume of noise in my house. Not exactly silence, but... no yelling, either. No fighting. I looked up. I stopped what I was doing and I just stared.

It was pretty new to me, and I wasn't sure what to do - yell, scream for my husband to come upstairs to witness this phenomena, or call my mom.

But I just continued staring, quietly. I wanted nothing more than to just take it all in, because it was something I was not used to seeing.

I knew the day would come. I just didn't realize how quickly the day would come, and how amazing it would be to witness. To see what I was seeing was a beautiful thing. I knew there would be many more days like this to come, and I guess I was sort of in a state of shock and happiness.

You see. My two boys, my two children, the loves of my life? They were playing together. Nicely. They were talking to eachother, laughing. Bonding. Brothers.

My boys are now best friends. They ask for each other as soon as they wake up in the morning, and when the other is not around, they are not as happy.

The moments when you witness your children playing together, laughing with one another, giggling, smiling, happy together - that makes your heart want to burst with happiness, doesn't it?

Yup... seeing siblings playing together makes being a mom a totally awesome thing. And everyday, my two boys are getting even closer.

Right now, they chase eachother on their plasma cars, giggling with delight. Our hardwood floors are taking a beating at the same time, but to see them laughing uncontrollably together? Totally worth every scratch.

Comments

Carrie said…
I love watching my girls play. They really love each other and I pray it stays that way for life.
Krista said…
So sweet! You're blessed to have them so loving towards one another. I wish my boys were more like that!
Unknown said…
My boys are 2 years apart and the best of friends!! It took a while but it is incredible to see them growing up together and bonding. They play video games, challenge each other on swimming, basketball, football you name it!! They get to HUG each other when they fight!! So it doesn't happen often! Boys are so much!! Keep up being an awesome Mom and thank you for sharing your writing!! I love it! :)
A Crafty Mom said…
That is really the moment we all strive for! I remember as soon as my middle son turned two, his older brother was totally into playing with him and interacting more. We've never looked back - they still are inseparable and play together every single day. With a bit more fighting thrown in on some days, of course :)
Aww! How wonderful! No doubt you've done a great job encouraging them to work/play together! Way to go! :-)
BeachMama said…
I love when we have times like this. Since my children are a little further apart in age, they don't have these moments as often as I would like.
Constantine said…
Having them this close in age was my idea. The process of making them was fun too!
That is such a precious thing to witness!!! :)
CaraBee said…
I was just looking out at my daughter playing by herself on the swingset today and thinking how nice it would be for her to have just that kind of playmate. I don't know. Maybe. Sigh.
Jen said…
That's awesome! Our kids are five years apart, and big brother is just now starting to come around to his 3 month old sister, showing her toys, talking to her and trying to get her to smile - it makes me stop what I'm doing and just stare, while my heart wants to burst :-) I know it won't always be great between them (far from it, I'm sure!), so I'll take every moment I can!
Lady Mama said…
I cannot wait for this moment to arrive! Seriously, readying this gives me hope. So sweet!
Unknown said…
I was nodding through this whole post. I soak it in too when my boys play nicely together. And the other night B went out with some friends to the circus and G had to go to bed without him. He was quite sad. It was so SWEET!!

Glad those moments are here for you! :D
T Rex Mom said…
I love it when my kids interact - I know my 2 year old is waiting for his baby sister to get a little older so she can play with him but for right now he's content to bring her toys and give her snuggles.

That is so fabulous - your boys are going to be close their whole lives. I think it's charming they ask for each other first thing.
Haven't gotten there yet...sigh. sigh....
Mrs. Beer said…
That is awesome. I stopped by your site because I saw your name on another blog, and said to myself, "I bet she's Greek," then I saw your boys' names and said, "oh yeah, there's some serious Greekness going on..." Im glad I stopped by, sounds like you have a lovely family!
Mocha Dad said…
Although my kids constantly fight with each other, it's always nice to watch when they share tender moments together.
Anonymous said…
When my oldest came to the hospital to meet my youngest just after he was born I was very nervous. I had so many intense feelings about their relationship and how it would all roll out, but even more than that I was terrifed that my oldest would feel displaced. It consumed me in the weeks leading up to his birth. When he came into that room, tiptoeing just like he knew, his first and instant reaction when he saw him was "He's so cute." In that moment, I knew everything would be alright and that they would love each other, intensely. I see the love between them every day and I am so, so grateful they have each other.