Skip to main content

Emails from my mom...

I'm lucky to have my mom (and my grandmother and in-laws) take care of my children when I'm at work. While I get dressed up and go to work in a nice building downtown, my mom and in-laws (on different days) come over to take care of my boys.

Although my mom is a full-time artist, she has put her career on the back-burner for my children. It is really awesome to see the relationship between my children and my mom - they are very close. My mom is a great grandmother, and most of all, she's hilarious. She always makes me laugh.

One of the highlights of having her babysit my boys is getting really detailed emails from her everyday.

Like how many times my boys have gone poo.

And the exact amount of food they've consumed. (Dimitry ate 4 spoonfuls of soup! Christos had 3 bites of his hamburger!)

And although she has a blast with my boys, I know she also really looks forward to me picking up my boys at the end of the day!

For your reading pleasure, here is a look at some of the emails my mom has sent me when she babysits:

Dimitry drank all his milk, and fell asleep at 1. Christos rested for 1/2 hour, drank his milk, went on the computer, had some apple and apple juice and just went to Home Depot with dad. The kids are great. We'll eat fish and mashed potatoes tonight.
See you soon!!!!!
_______________________

Christos was painting and we're both covered in paint now. Dimitry fell asleep at 2:15 in his crib - I just left him there and only went in a couple of times and he fell asleep! He had fun at playgroup. Christos had a great day and is eating McDonald's now.
See you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________________
Christos was outside shovelling for over 1/2 hour, jumping around in the snow. He had hot chocolate and macaroni and kima. He's great. Don't call for a while, Dimitry is sleeping.
See you soon!!!
____________________

Just back from Greek playgroup. Baby kept going up and down... his nose is stuffy, I think he is getting a new cold.
Christos had to poo at school but it was quick.
I am exhausted....
____________________

Put the humidifer on for Christos.
Get the address for Florida.
Thank S. for gift for Dimitry.
Look for new housekeeper for your house - this is important!
See you soon!!!!!!
___________________________

The boys are a handful! Especially Dimitry... he wears everyone out! Christos is riding his bicycle inside. Dimitry sleeping since 1:15. It is now 2:00. See you soon.
____________________________

Dimitry hit one cheek on the wall at playgroup and so one cheek is red. He had a blast at my moms house for almost 2 hours, running, playing, eating.
Christos is great, but this morning, after you left for work, he got upset because Dimitry took his gems and crystals and threw one on the floor, then Dimitry hit Christos and Christos hit him back and then Christos took off his pants and underwear and I finally got them dressed again but Christos was late for school. It was tough....
See you soon!!!!
__________________________

And there you have it - am I lucky or what? Even when I'm not phyiscally with my children, I still know how much food they've had in a day, and how many times they've gone to the bathroom! My moms emails always put a smile on my face.

Comments

D of Project D said…
Sounds just like how my Mom would write emails if I had kids lol. Love it. Your Mom is awesome!
Unknown said…
That's awesome. I love the see you soon!!!! at the end of each one. Sounds like the boys wear her out ;)
Anonymous said…
I love the addition of how LONG it took for the kid to poo. You definitely are not missing a thing! :)
Jennifer G. said…
You are very lucky. Who loves them better than the grandparents? And also ... who SPOILS THEM BETTER? LOL!
Sandy said…
What a great post! These emails are hilarious. Aren't moms wonderful?
DebC said…
Amazing emails. I know you know how lucky you are :-)
Mrs. Priss said…
Hahaha, my mom does similar things when she's watching my daughter. She calls me while I'm at work and says, "SAY HI, MAMAAAAA!" and I know I'm supposed to carry on some sort of 'conversation' with my one year old who's listening on the other end, haha.

I love when moms turn into grandmas!
T Rex Mom said…
It certainly makes going to work so much easier when you know you are leaving them in good hands. I know you know but you are very fortunate to have such a great set up.

And someday those emails will be great to give to the boys.
Ninja Mom said…
Wow, this is awesome. You are a lucky gal.

I secretly pray that my parents will volunteer to take care of my little guy when I eventually go back to work.

It's amazing how many complaints I had about how they raised me, but now that I'm a mom, I look back and think, "boy they did the best they could. Actually, they did an amazing job".

As grandparents, they are even better - so much more patient than they were as parents, and enjoying all the fun that the kids bring. My mom didn't play with me that much as a kid, so she's doing it all now with her grandkids.

I guess that's what I have to look forward to when my kids have kids! I get to be the fun grandparent, not the Ninja Mom.
Mercy Langille said…
Sounds like something my mom would do.
Lady Mama said…
Your mom is amazing! It must be extremely reassuring to know your boys are being taken care of so well during the day.
Amy said…
This is the most adorable thing I've ever read. I love the blow-by-blow!

My favorite is "Look for new housekeeper for your house - this is important!
See you soon!!!!!!"

Classic.
Shannon said…
That's hilarious!! You and the kids are very lucky! I'm jealous!! My parents live 10 min away and don't even offer to watch the kids for us to go out on a date once in a while.
Anonymous said…
she sounds wonderfully sweet!
CaraBee said…
You are so lucky to have your mom so close and able to watch your boys for you! Its so funny that she mentions stuff like where and how much they poop!
Shana said…
what a blessing she is!!!
Anonymous said…
Luck you! What a treat to brighteny you days. I'll admit I giggled at how many times she added: See you soon!!!
Unknown said…
You are very lucky to have such good family closeby and I can see how much you appreciate it! FTOU FTOU!!!
First of all..how awesome is it to have so much family close by?

Second, I love that she tells you you need to get a new housekeeper!
Amy Van Beck said…
That is so great! It is always the best to have someone you love watching the kids when you can't be there. The play by play is so great! Our families are very close to us too and it helps so much!
Mom2Miles said…
That's awesome! You ARE lucky. I often think how much easier it is to leave your kids if you know they're with someone who loves them & appreciates them as much as you do. And by getting all the details you don't feel as though you missed out. Your mom is the coolest!
You are so lucky I don't know many caregivers that would write so many constant and detailed emails!!!
Unknown said…
Um, is it just me or did she email you your "to-do" list in one of them? HA HA!

These are great - so glad you shared!
Loukia said…
Elaine... yup. My to-do list. Either emailed to me, or told to me on the phone daily. Almost.
I LOVE these! Especially how most of them end "See you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Pres. Kathy said…
How awesome to have such an amazing mom! I miss mine! I wish she lived closer!
EatPlayLove said…
My family lives in NewYork, I have been begging for them to move here. I would love to have my mother care for my girls, I'd go back to work in a heartbeat.

You are so lucky. You're mom seems adorable.

See you soon!!!!!!!!!!! (my favorite part)
Stephanie said…
You really are blessed. If I had a Mamma like that around I think I would have been able to go back to work. :)
Anonymous said…
These are the best kinds of emails! How lucky you are to have a mom that will keep you in the know all the time!
Nicole said…
How awesome! I have a surprise for you on my blog!
Anonymous said…
I love "we are both covered in paint"...and this from an artist!
As many have said, you're fortunate to have family with whom your boys can stay. It's the only way to work outside the home without going totally gray.
Jessica said…
I love this idea! You should make it a regular post :)

My mom once texted me and Anthony while we were in a movie theater, "Hollis just pooped in the bathtub for the first time ever! Whoa!" hahaha
Laurie said…
Oh I loved reading those emails! You are very blessed to have that kind of care for your children while you work! My mother ran off to Mexico, not that she lived in the same province before even!
LOVE IT! You're so lucky to have her. She sounds lovely!

I'd love to have a mom like her. Can your mom adopt me? :) xo
Anonymous said…
"Christos had to poo at school but it was quick"

LOL!
So wonderful that you don't have to worry about a thing!!!
Just like the last time I commented on one of these - I LOVE how she always signs of with "see you soon" and multiple exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so lucky to have her - but you already know that!