Skip to main content

Bath-time tantrum time!

Everyday our children do things to us that test our patience, time and time again.

Yet, we survive. We survive on very few hours of sleep, we survive having our hair pulled, we survive cleaning up vomit from the back seat of a car, and we survive having food thrown around the house. We break up fights, we clean markers off the couch, and we act like clowns to get our babies to eat. All these things are more or less daily occurances, things that are now part of the 'new' way of living, right?

Isn't it amazing, how every single day, we solve epic battles in a house filled with... children? We are basically every profession, rolled up into one.

Please, tell me - is there a harder job than that of a mom? I think not.

Friends, we have now officially entered the tantrum stage with our otherwise perfect and oh-so-well-behaved 2 year old.

It just happened one day - he woke up, and decided to make life a little more difficult for his mommy. Anything will set him off. Although, to be honest, for the majority of they day, he is well-behaved. But when he wants his own way - watch out, world!

The other night, I took Dimitry upstairs for his bath - which he usually loves. I managed to take off his clothes with no problem, and then removed his pull-up diaper after I placed him in the bath.

Uh-oh.

The screaming commenced.

The crying.

The tantrum only a 2 year old is capable of acting out.

"Back on! Back on! Back on! Back on!" Dimitry was saying, while crying at the same time, motioning for me to put his diaper back on.

"Sweetie-pie, I can't put it back on, I ripped it off, and it's soaking wet now! See? Look how big it's getting... diapers are not supposed to be in water... Let me get you a new one?"

"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo... diaper... back on! Wahhh!!!!"

"Look, let's play with your favourite duckies, instead... here you go!"

Before I knew it, the duckies had made it half way across the room.

"DIAPER!! DIAPER!!! BACK ON!!!!"

"How about I get you a new one? I can't put that diaper back on."

At this point, the diaper, having been sitting in a bath full of water, was now the size of a watermelon, weighing about 20 pounds.

He would not let me get rid of it. He kept insisting I put it back on him.

I didn't know what else to do, so I called for back-up.

"HON? I NEED HELP!!! COME QUICKLY!!!"

My husband and 4 year old came running up the stairs, wondering what all the commotion was about.

"He wants his old diaper on! Look! I can't put it back on! He won't stop screaming! HELP ME! I don't know what else to do!"

My 4 year old decided to get in the bath with his brother. Which made Dimitry stop crying.


Thank God.


But then, Christos decided to pee on Dimitry.

So I had to empty the water, and fill the bath-tub again.

And then I got a bucket of water thrown on my newly dry-cleaned pants.

At which point, I sighed, yet again, and brought out the foam letters.

This all took place within a 30 minute period.

It truly is amazing I don't drink more wine on a regular basis, no?

Comments

Zafy said…
Lou I feel bad for you but can't stop laughing at the fact that C. peed on D.
I am giggling to, you know I can do that right now but soon, oh how soon, this will probably be happening to me, the tantrums that is as I have a girl rather than boy!! You got through the tantrum and the tee teeing without a glass of wine as a reward, how did you do that? LOL
A Crafty Mom said…
I have definitely BTDT - both my boys went through this phase and I am thrilled to death that my daughter is not there yet. I know my day is coming though - so you can laugh at me later :)
Chandra said…
My three year old is VERY good at tantrums too. If his underwear are crooked he cries, if I don't let him put on his own clothes, then he cries, IF I pull out the wrong PJ's for him to wear then he cries...That's when us Mom's have to say "Calgon take me away!"...

I feel for you, I really do!
Kat said…
Hehehe. He peed on him. Heh heh heh. I know it isn't funny. But it kind of is. ;)
T Rex Mom said…
I'm sad you have to go through this but it does make me feel better that my 2 year old also tantrums - sometimes for no reason. It's tough learning to deal with emotions.

I'm sure this stage will pale in comparison to the teen years!
Unknown said…
I'm right there with ya, hon. If it's not one thing? It's another!

And I'm still giggling about the pee. Lol!
Uh oh miles is starting the fits and i am shaking in my boots! Thank goodness for the help of our very nature 3 and 4 year olds huh! I wish you luck - this is a tough stage.

FYI pee is actually sterile so gross as it sounds you don't need to empty the bath for it. Lots of people say it is actually a great place to practice aiming bc most little boys will "go" when they step in warm water. Hope i did not gross you out!
Okay....it's a little funny...but only because I'm not there. Maybe I'll drink some wine with you tonight.
Julie said…
and that's why i get out of my work clothes the second i walk into the house!
Anonymous said…
Tantrums were fun.

Oh wait. No they weren't!

But my younger son, who had terrible tantrums (terrible!), eventually outgrew them. But wow did he go through a difficult phase at 2-3 years of age.

So, I hear ya! It's not easy... but at least they're super-cute, right? Makes up for it a bit.
CaraBee said…
Bathtimes have been a painful experience for a while now. The bath isn't so much the problem as the hair wetting, washing and rinsing. You'd think I was dumping acid on her. Yeah, the terrible twos are good times.
He peed on him?? Oh mercy!!!
You need the GREEK Supernanny! Too bad you didn't get the peeing thing on video - that would have provided hours of entertainment.
Lady Mama said…
Oh my gawd! What a commotion. Very funny though, sorry! You know, it's funny but literally a few weeks after my toddler turned 2, he started with the tantrums - it was like a switch had been turned on somewhere and that was IT! I feel for you, I really do. I hope he grows out of it quickly!
Stephanie said…
Oh dear..lol. We have all had days like this:)
Hailey said…
he peed pn him? so funny!
caroline is just now etting out of the tantrum phase {thank God}. Emma will be in it soon.
poor thing. you need some wine or a xanax or something!
oh, good grief, girlfriend, after reading all of that, the only thing I remember is that Christos peed on Dimitry! :) Poor D. Did you find out why he wanted so much to keep his diaper on?

xo
lmbo. I'm sorry I should be a little more sensitive.
This sounds like a typical day with my three year old twins... Fun times.
Ugh...I don't look forward to that stage. I can already see that my daughter is going to be strong-willed.
Pres. Kathy said…
WOW! The things us moms have to go through! The only thing that can get us through these times is patience and laughter!