Skip to main content

Interview with a 4 year old



Oh, the things our children say! I never get tired of hearing my little boy, my 4 year old, talking. The conversations we have, the things he says, the way his mind works - it's totally amazing. He teaches me things. He corrects me, even. He asks questions I don't have the answers to. His mind is constantly working, constantly trying to figure things out. He is his happiest when he is 'working', and doing 'real' projects around the house. He is always inquisitive.

The things he says also makes me laugh. Lately, if he sees his brother going towards one of his toys, he'll say:

"I was JUST going to play that!" and take it away from him.

The other day, I decided to keep him home from school, and after I told him, he says:

"I was JUST thinking about not going to school today! Yay!"

Or, if he really likes something, he'll say:

"I just LOVE that!"

Every so often, I sit down with my oldest son, and ask him a list of questions to see what he'll say, even though I pretty much already know how he'll answer. It's a nice way to keep track of all the things he loved at certain stages of his childhood.

What does your little brother Dimitry like to do?

He likes to play around, take my stuff, and do everything I do.

What do you like to do?

I love to play bulldozers, stuff like that... and play crystal store.

Do you love school?

Yup! Right away!

What things do you do in school that you like?

I do nothing!

Okay... what else?

I play, I do crafts, I go to the gym.

What are your favourite books right now?

Destruction books, If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, Amelia Bedelia.

What is your favourite song?

No One by Alicia Keys!

Who do you love?

Daddy.

You can say more than one person, you know...

Daddy, mommy.

And? (I point to his brother)

Dimitry.

Okay.

What is your favourite TV show?

Animal Mechanicals, Busytown Mysteries, and Mighty Machines - Mighty Machines is my really favourite. It's just my favourite!

What do you want Santa to bring you?

Transformers, a bumblebee suit, and a snowplow.

What's your favourite word?

Raccoo!

Favourite food?

Noodles. Actually, shells.

How many languages do you know?

Greek, English, French bonjour comma ca va!

What is your most favourite place you've been to? Florida? Bahamas?

Toronto!

What is your favourite planet?

Saturn!

What do you want to be when you grow up?

A destruction worker.

Ah... the innocence. I love it! And I figure I still have time to convince my son that a career in medicine is better than a career as a destruction worker, right? Unless he wants to own his own construction company. Then I'll be all for that, too!

Comments

Imo Mzi said…
Absolutely soo cute...
I am sure that my oldest daughter would answer ;
"He likes to play around, take my stuff, and do everything I do."
if I ask her "what does your sister like to do?"
Pres. Kathy said…
I love the answers little kids give. My little guy, Niko, is 2. I can't wait until he starts talking more so I can see what he is thinking. Have a great day!
Chandra said…
I love that he LOVES Alicia Keys...He has great taste in music for such a small tot!
twinmomplusone said…
priceless!
Jessica said…
SO cute! He is scrumptious. I love that he wanted a bumble bee suit- so stinkin' adorable. So fun to read!
Jessica said…
Also- that picture of them at the pumpkin patch is so sweet, they are the most adorable little boys!!
Tracie said…
What a clever little boy!
Unknown said…
Love his answers! Such a cutie pie!
Lady Mama said…
Aww what a sweet post! I loved reading your son's answers. He seems like such a smart little guy - I'm amazed at the clever answers he gives.
Oh, I love how our little kids think and the things they say.
Very Cute--great idea for a post and just to hear where he is in life right now.
Cynthia said…
Maybe he and My Little Man can go into the destruction business together...he LOVES tractors;P
Shana said…
Jacob loves Mighty Machines too!!
Lesley said…
that is one very enlightening interview into the mind of a 4 year old....tooo cute...

I've got two awards for you over at my place...stop by when you can
Christy said…
So cute. I love his answers! Can't wait till my little one can talk with me!
Theta Mom said…
Too cute and OMG, my son also LOVES that song No One!!! He was like two when it came out and to this day, when he hears it he sings along! So funny!
Smart little guy! Seriously - 3 languages? Amazing!
I had a great talk with M yesterday about food. We were talking about meat and I told her the chicken nuggets come from a chicken and the turkey roll-ups that she likes come from a turkey. "Oh mom, you say the craziest things. I know you're just fooling." I didn't want to press it, for fear of scaring her!
CaraBee said…
A "destruction worker!" That is awesome! I am so excited to have conversations with my daughter, although just a little nervous to hear what she'll have to say. Plus, then she can tattle on me when I am lazy during the day. So it's not all win.
OHmommy said…
Love the innocence. Too too cute.
That is JUST so cute :-)

I love how they think that some jobs are so exciting... my daughter tells me she wants to be a shop assistant when she grows up. At a grocery store :-O Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it isn't really a career that needs much advance planning, is it?
Theta Mom said…
I know I already commented on this post, but I wanted to tell you I tagged you on my blog, so come on over and check it out. ;)
Unknown said…
A 'destruction' worker! HA , I love it!!

Great idea to ask him questions!
Anti-Supermom said…
SO sweet - I need to interview my 5 year old, I'd be interested in what he'd say too!