Skip to main content

My two peas in a pod

Being the mother of two young boys means that if they are awake, they are constantly on the go. They are very active, and it is almost impossible to keep up with them.

And the house? As much as I try to pick up after them, it is always such a mess. For about one hour after our housekeeper has gone home, our home looks very neat and tidy - sort of how it looked before we had children in the house. I take the time and enjoy the neatness, because I know it's not going to last. It truly is amazing how much craziness two little boys can get into!

But when the house is messy, and when the boys are running around playing, I enjoy it, too. I might complain as the mess is being made, but then I hear something like:

"Dimitry! Come here and jump on the couch with me!"

And I see my baby running towards his big brother, laughing, and jumping with him. Having fun. Two brothers having a great time.



I've made an observation lately, one that really warms my heart. My boys are playing together and they are enjoying eachother's company. They are friends. Christos is a very protective and caring older brother, and Dimitry looks up to Christos. They love eachother. And it's amazing to witness their relationship blossom.





They sometimes hold hand when they're walking outside. "Christos, hold your brothers hand," I say to him. And Dimitry looks up with his big brown eyes, and grabs on to his brother's hand, tightly. Watching them walking in front of me, I get all emotional, because it's just... awesome.

Seeing them interact nicely with on another is a welcome relief from the times they fight and get mad at eachother, which, for the record, is still a common occurance in our house. (It's amazing that, despite a house filled with more toys and books than a toystore itself, they will both want to play with the same thing at the same time!)

But more often than not, they are together, and they are happy. This morning, Christos gave Dimitry a gentle kiss on his tummy and needless to say, this melted me. I hope their relationship continues to grow, and that they remain best friends forever, because there is no bond like that between two siblings. It's simply amazing to see my children growing right before my eyes.

Totally shifting gears here... but I was interviewed on sweetmama.ca and you can read my interview here!

Comments

Christy said…
My second son is only 3 months old, so they aren't quite there yet but I am SO excited for them to become friends!!
so nice! Sounds like we're in a similar situation, but I have 2 girls. They are starting to be such a little team...playing together well, enjoying each others' company. It took a while (my youngest is 2) but they're getting there!
Enjoy!
Anonymous said…
I hope that brotherly bond continues for many, many years!
Jessica said…
This actually made me teary... I love the looks that the younger siblings give to their big brother/sisters. It's priceless... that bond and love. We're just starting to experience it here and it truly makes my day. It is like MAGIC, you know? Beautiful pictures, beautiful boys!
Gabriela said…
Hello,

What a fun blog you have!
And adorable boys!



~ Gabriela ~
The boys look like they really do enjoy each other!! you are lucky.. most days mine cant stand each other... I know it will get better with age though!
CaraBee said…
This is one of the biggest reasons I want my daughter to have a sibling. Of course, then there's all the insanity of being pregnant again, giving birth again, sleepless nights again, and so on that talks me out of it.
Unknown said…
There is something purely magical that exists between siblings. It's sooo amazing. And I love it.
My two kids are adorable together too. It was so exciting to see them begin to develop that relationship as my youngest got older and more independent and talkative. When I see them holding hands or hugging or consoling each other, it fills me up for sure. Love their dynamic - nothing beats sibling love.
tiarastantrums said…
I don't have two boys (I always wanted two boys) but I do love to watch the bond b/t my children (it was much sweeter when they were younger)
I can't wait until we can give my little man a sibling. I don't know what I would do without my sis!
Rebecca said…
such cuties you have!
IT will be wonderful to watch them grow together and remain great friends/
Anonymous said…
they are so precious and congrats on the interview!
Lady Mama said…
Aww that is so sweet! What cuties your two boys are. I simply cannot wait until my boys are playing together like that (not so much looking forward to the fighting). And yes, the house - constant battle to keep it clean.
SG said…
your boys are adorable!
I love that with my kids too. :) My 7yo son loves being the more-knowledgeable big bro, and my 5yo daughter loves being the doted-on little sis. I admit that they still fight more than they play together, but it's getting better and better every day.
So, when they do get along, I try not to interrupt their play -- which is difficult because in such cases, they're usually doing something they shouldn't be doing! lol :)

Yeah, I miss having a clean house. Sigh.
EatPlayLove said…
My girls get along remarkably well, I feel so blessed when they hold hands or hug and kiss before school.

I think I need to capture the moment more, for I feel like it's fleeting and one day they'll be fighting teenagers.
Chantal said…
I remember why my boys started playing together. It is a wonderful thing!
Shana said…
What a sweet post! Watching these kind of things between your children is priceless!
Anonymous said…
I know exactly how you feel and wrote about something similar in my own blog recently. My youngest is still quite young, only 8 months, but the bond between them is very evident and such a joy to see. I also live a chaotic life. The oldest is CRAZY busy, turning the house upside down and racing around like a madman. I can't wait until they do it together (though maybe they'll do it a bit more in the playroom :-)
That is so sweet! My kids are 3 and 16 months - they are just now starting to play and enjoy each other. It's so special and WHY we do what we do.
Pres. Kathy said…
Your boys are just adorable! My little guy Niko who is 2 makes such a huge mess but I try not to worry. I rather spend my time with him and have a messy house.