Skip to main content

Motherhood

There is a new movie coming out called Motherhood starring Uma Thurman. Uma plays a mom... but not just any mom - she's a mom who blogs! How much do you want to bet I'll be first in line to see this movie? A lot of great bloggers I know are involved in the promotion of this movie, and some even got to meet Uma Thurman and Minnie Driver in New York City. How cool is that?

In honor of Motherhood, Mama Kat's writing assignment this week is to write about your mom. I thought this was a great idea, because, well, I love my mom!

Describe a moment when you realized your mom was more than just a mom.



I can't answer this with just one moment, because my mom has always been more than just a mom to me. My mom and I have a very close relationship - closer than most people I know. In fact, some would say we are too close, because we see eachother almost every single day and when we're not together, we are on the phone with one another. Not only is she a fantastic mom who has done everything for me, she is also the greatest grandmother there is. My boys are madly in love with their yiayia, and she showers them in such love, it is amazing to see. I still hope to one day be as great a mom as she is.





My typical day begins with a phone call to my mom, on the days she's not over to babysit. After I've kissed my children goodbye, and I'm on the way to work, I call her.

"How did the boys sleep? Did they wake up a lot at night? Did they eat a good breakfast?" Those are the typical questions that are asked within seconds. My mom, even though she is a full-time artist and career woman, babysits for us 3 days a week. I don't know how she does it all, to be honest... she even makes wonderful home-cooked meals for us to enjoy every night.

My mom is also a great teacher. She has taught me so much about life, she has dried my tears many times, and she is contantly teaching my children new things. She talks to my boys as her equal, and talks to them about important things. Even going on a walk with my mom is an educational adventure - my oldest son and my mom will talk about a tree, the falling leaves, or the changing weather. My mom will get in her car with my son to follow a street sweeper for 45 minutes just because it makes my boy happy.



She is always suggesting new places to take my children, and when she's with her grandchildren, she is fully hands-on - reading with them, playing with them, painting with them. She even finds it in her to take them swimming alone! She spoils them silly, but I don't mind. She never says no - and while this can be a problem at times, I understand how hard saying 'no' can be.

We also almost always travel together. My husband has gotten used to this arrangement, and truly? Best way to travel!





My mom is the one I go to when I need advice on anything. She is my best friend, and we've never had anything short of a great relationship. I am proud to be her daughter, and even though we also, being Greek, yell and fight, it's never anything that isn't forgotten about 2 seconds later. We are dramatic, and we are loud, but we're happy. And we're happiest when we're all together, as a family.

My mom is more than just a mom because there is nothing she can't do. She's driven, she's successful, she's a go-getter, she's a cook, a cleaner, a babysitter, and an all-around terrific person.

Comments

OHmommy said…
Awwww... Loukia. So sweet. Sounds just like the relationship I have with my mom. I can't wait to see that movie. I wish we could all watch it together like for a GNO. How fun would that be?

PS. Loukia's mom. You are much too young to be a grandmother. :)
Melodie said…
You are SO lucky to have a mom like that. I know you already count your blessings but reading that post made my heart ache. Even though my mom only lives an hour away she hardly ever comes to see her grand-daughters. When she does it's for a half hour or so after she's finished a ride on her bike. (She's mountain biker and we have a good mountain she likes to ride on - more than seeing her grandkids.) It makes me very sad because my grandma, her mom, was such a hands-on grandma. We were with her all the time and are very close. but my mom and I aren't so close. She wants to be and thinks we are to some extent but I can't help feel resentful that in the five years she's had grand-daughters she has only ever had the oldest overnight twice and has only "babysat" a couple times as well. IN FIVE YEARS! She always told me growing up that she never wanted to be a grandmother. To the extent that my girls call her "G" instead. She had me when she was 20 and since divorcing my step-dad a few years ago has been trying to relieve all the years she never had to herself since she was a mom. I try to support her lifestyle but I really think it's so very sad that she puts herself above everyone else. You are SO LUCKY!
Unknown said…
OMG did i miss mothers day!?! :)
Stephanie said…
What a wonderful tribute to your Mom. :)
Christy said…
What a sweet post for your mother to read! I can't wait to see that movie too!
CaraBee said…
How wonderful that you have such a great relationship with your mother! I hope to foster that with my own daughter. Traveling together, though? Probably not.
WOW, your Mom is gorg! I don't know what I would do without my Mom! We bought a house a couple miles away because I was preggers and needed to be near my Mommy. Ah ha
Wonderful tribute to mom! I love how she sounds so much like YOU!
Jen said…
What a beautiful tribute to your mom :-) I too am blessed to have an incredible mother, who loves us all to bits. The level of involvement is different, but that's ok, just due to circumstances :-)
Lola said…
You are so lucky and more importantly, you know what you have with your mom which is awesome. I hope that my daughter and I have that. I didn't really have my mother so I don't know what that is like-what you write about but it sounds very special and I am creating that with my own daughter:)
What a great tribute to your mom. She seems amazing, and she did a great job in raising her daughter :) (you)
Jessica said…
I could have written this post. I don't know if it's a Greek thing or what, but I have never met anyone that had a relationship with their mother like I do with my own. I loved reading this... it made me miss my mother even more than I already do!
Jessica said…
PS You need to let us know what you think of the movie :)
Your mom is gorgeous!! Just like you, what a sweet relationship you have --moms are the greatest.
Aren't we?
Lady Mama said…
Aww. What a lovely post. You're mom is an amazing woman! And beautiful too. So nice that you and your sons have such a good relationship with her.
Maggie May said…
hey! i hadn't heard of this movie- so cool. thanks for the head's up.
Chantal said…
That is a beautiful post Loukia, you and your mother are both very lucky to have each other.
Your mom sounds amazing. What a lovely lady! It's clear that all of you love her very much!
Unknown said…
Your mother makes dinner for you every night? Can she adopt me please? ; )

You two have such a wonderful relationship. Amazing.
Jesisca said…
What a beautiful tribute to your mom. Unfortunately, my mom lives 1000 miles away so we do not get to share as much as we'd like. She's really missing out on the best years of my son's life!

I'll be first in line to see Motherhood in Orlando. Participating in the Anthony Edwards & Uma Thurman call was incredible!
You are so lucky - it sounds like you have an amazing relationship with her. In any case, I truly can not believe that woman is your mom...she looks so young! you are both gorgeous and look at lot alike.
I can't wait to see that movie! I just scored tix to the Boston screening on Monday - woo-hoo!
Wow she sounds amazing. My mom rocks too and it is always so nice to hear how many fab mothers are out there for is to look up to! Great post! I am now following!
My Mom and I are full intertwined in our lives too. We live five min. away from each other, we speak daily if not several times a day, my kids absolutely adore her and want to be with her all the time, and I couldn`t be happier. We are the best of friends and appreciate each other`s opinions regarding anything and everything. I love my mom.
Anonymous said…
beautifully said! I hope I can do as much for my children someday as your mom does for you :o)