Skip to main content

A lesson learned

You must know by now that crazy things always happen to me and my family. We are the ones who will almost miss a flight, the ones who will accidentally lock the baby in a 19th floor hotel room, and the ones who will panic over everything. We are Greek, and overly dramatic. We are our very own comedy show.

One New Year's Eve, while leaving the hair salon to go to my parents to get dressed, I hit a car. I decided to continue driving home, because getting out of my car would mean I'd be late and more importantly, ruin my hair. (Don't hate me. I was much younger then, and it was a minor accident!) Also? It's a known fact that New Year's Eve in this city is the coldest day of the year. I got home and as I was running upstairs to get dressed, I sort of told to my parents that I sort of hit someone's car.

Then, the doorbell rang. 2 police officers were at the door, having looked up my license plate number.

My mother and grandmother greeted them at the door, festive music playing in the background. I came downstairs to talk to them. I explaned how I didn't stop at the scene of the accident because I didn't want to ruin my hair, since it was New Year's Eve and all. They laughed. They were offered some kourabies,(Greek sugar cookies) and after they ate them, told me to be more careful next time, and they were on their way.

Things like this always happen to me.

Like last Christmas Eve, Dimitry's first Christmas. We were at my parents house, and Dimitry was taking a nap in the crib upstairs. He woke up, crying. I rushed into the room and noticed his leg was stuck in between the crib rails. I tried to get his leg free, but it would not budge. He was really stuck. He started crying even more, and my panic level began to rise.

"Call 911!" I yell to my mom.
"His leg is stuck! We need some help!"

My mom, panicked herself, calls 911 and tells them what's going on. In the meantime, I somehow managed to get his leg free.

"Never mind! He's okay! His leg is okay!"

My mom told the 911 operators that everything was now okay, however, because the call was placed, and because it involved a young baby, they dispatched emergency workers anyway.

Within minutes, the fire fighters arrived at my mom's house. Imagine Christos's delight to see a shiny red fire truck in front of his grandparent's house on Christmas Eve! It was like an early present.



The fire fighters came in, and again, we offered them some food, since that's what Greek people do. After our short visit with the fire fighters, and after all the craziness, we sat down to our Christmas Eve dinner, laughing about the the experience we just had.

Lesson learned? Always have yummy homemade food prepared in case emergency workers come to your house during the holidays!

Comments

Chantal said…
Hey! I went to high school with one of those Fire Fighters. The tall one (not holding the baby). He is an awesome guy.
traci said…
I once called poison control because Isabelle took a bite of chapstick. I am the panicky queen!!
Christy said…
Too funny Loukia! Crazy things do seem to happen to you and your family!
MommyLisa said…
That is good advice to add to - Always wear clean underwear.

;)
Wow! Wonder what is gonna happen next! Sounds like you never have a dull moment!
CaraBee said…
That's what I've been doing wrong. I never have yummy food handy!
Anonymous said…
You do seem to attract craziness! But, we love ya anyway!
WeaselMomma said…
Crazy things happen to you all right! Crazy lucky! You could have been arrested for leaving the scene of an accident.
A Crafty Mom said…
OMG Loukia - that is insane. Totally. I think I'll need to stop by your house one day to visit, for the good company and also the very good food :)
Jessica said…
Good God, woman. hahah You are just too funny! Nothing like that has happened to me, but I have a friend (of German descent) who's JUST LIKE THAT!!

I'm not sure what you two have in common other than having a knack for this kind of funny drama, but I sure love hearing about it!
I can totally picture that. Hilarious!
Too funny. Yes you do have a flair for the crazy but thats why we love you here in the Crazy House!!!
Betsy Mae said…
OMG Chantal! That is hilarious.

Loukia, your stories were funny too. I have to admit that my husband and I also seem to have crazy stuff happen to us, although I don't have food prepared all the time in case of emergencies...better get at that.
EatPlayLove said…
We are quite friendly with the local firemen as well. I agree always have lots of food on hand (I'm Italian!).
Unknown said…
Honey? You are such a trip! I love your stories :)
Ha! I love the picture you have of the firefighters -- that's great! I wonder what kind of crazy holiday story you'll have to share this year!
Rebecca said…
I am glad these ended up not being serious incidents, and that you can laugh about them now!

If you ever have a non-emergency panic situation, feel free to call me since it seems like there is always food involved ;)
Jessica said…
This is so hilarious. I love it- it sounds SO FAMILIAR! the drama, the food, the music. I'm glad his leg was ok, and LOOK! You got a couple of cute firemen and a spiffy truck to your house in NO time!
Shana said…
Thanks for the tip! Sounds like you have a fun & crazy family =) Love your stories!!!
Unknown said…
LOL! What a funny story you will have to tell him one day.
Kimberly said…
Funny! I once had to call poison control because my older son ate ashes out of the fireplace. Turns out they're not poisonous as long as the wood burned in the fireplace is real wood not one of those fake log things...who knew?
Colleen said…
I had a similar "his leg is stuck" panic not too long ago, but I was home alone which made me 100x more frantic. My not yet 2yo wedged himself into the bars of the glider ottoman. This post is hilarious! Stopping by from your featured posts at SITS! :)
Anonymous said…
I found this post thru SITS and I love it! I can totally relate to not wanting to be in the cold or mess your hair up on NYE, although I don't know that I'd do a hit and run! Luckily it was innocent enough and it seems that the friendliness you and your family exude is probably even more appealing than your delicious food!
Unknown said…
Good advice! I wonder if I can get out of speeding tickets if I keep baked cookies in the glove box?
Licia said…
This is so funny! I love the idea of having good food ready in case of an emergency. I've been looking around your blog and really like your writing style.Congratulations on your SITS day. Enjoy!!
Christine said…
Good food in case of emergencies is essential... And if you must have emergencies, isn't it nice that hunky firemen show up? Yay!
That is very funny! I just found you on SITS...looking forward to reading more!

Katie
Practical Parenting
www.practicalkatie.com
Amy W. said…
That is a great lesson to learn, and I am glad to learn it by reading, not participating.

I just stopped by from SITS. Have a great day.
Anonymous said…
That is hilarious! and even funnier they posed for the picture!
CK said…
Oh my gosh, this tOHtally cracks me up!!! I wanna be Greek!
Kristi said…
Too cute! I can't believe the police officers let you off that easily. You are one lucky mama!