Skip to main content

The fear of flying... with children

In a few days, I'll be boarding a plane with my two boys. Need I remind you that they are 4 years old and 19 months old?

Or that I'm not the biggest fan of flying, despite the countless number of times I have been in an airplane? And even though I've written a post about staying sane when travelling with children, it's never easy, you know?

Oh, wait - here's the best part - I'm flying ALONE. Usually, when we travel with the kids, we deploy the troops. Since my children have been born, when we travel via airplane - for SHORT destinations, like Florida (my favourite!) or Bahamas (love it!) we go with my parents and sister and her husband. The more hands to help, the merrier, you know? One of us entertains each child, and we can happily play pass the baby to the next person when they start getting cranky. I highly recommend this way of travelling.

Being Greek, we're also pretty dramatic and make a big deal about everything.

My mom: "Okay, Loukia. In your carry-on, you must have children's Gravol, which you will give to Christos before take-off, otherwise there is no point, and children's Advil, and Advil for you too and a change of clothes for you all, and toys, and a DVD player, and snacks. And oh my God, how are you going to handle it and of course a pillow and some books and what about the car seat and should you bring a pillow for Christaki? I think you should and make sure when you get there to relax and take breaks and make sure the kids sleep at their regular bedtimes and don't yell at the boys and it's a short flight so don't worry but are you sure you can handle it, because they are impossible to take care of sometimes!"

Moi: "Oh my God, mom, I don't think I should go anymore! Should I go? I'm sure I'll be fine. They listen to me more than they listen to you, anyway, plus I'll have the double stroller. I'll be fine. Christos! Come back here! Dimitry, stop - that's the down escalator! Christos! No! Dimitry! Stop touching people! Christos, stop running! Dimitry, eww, don't touch the garbage! As I was saying mom, it will be a walk in the park. And plus, I know I'll come home with a really good blog post! What? Don't look at me like that! I blog, I'm NOT in a cult!"

Yeah. My mom and I talk like this all the time.

So I'm going to go to Washington D.C. with my boys to visit my uncle and his family and to take one last vacation before school starts for Christos. (EEK! School, OMG!) I will be celebrating my birthday in one of my most favourite cities, ever. My grandparents will be there, too, thank God. They will be such a huge help. I think I'll be able to handle it. Right?

I have been to D.C. many times, and I've lived there, too, when I did my internship at CBS TV. I have nothing but the best memories of D.C. and I can't wait to show Montgomery Mall to my boys! I mean, all the amazing museums and stuff! Seriously, there is so much to do there and I hope we get to do it all. I cannot wait!

Now, I just have to get through the plane ride. As long as there are no delays in the airport and as long as my boys are on their best behaviour, I should be okay. Gulp. And of course I will be stocking up like a mad women on the junk food. Snacks are a moms best friend, you know. And we better not have a bitchy flight attendant. I can't stand it when they're bitchy.

Please with me luck, friends. I think I'll need it.

Comments

Natalie Blais said…
I travel all over the world with my kids and I totally agree with the troop deployment. It's usually my mom because she actually helps me unlike my husband who insists that travel time is his NAP time! Good luck on the plane, and if all else fails, smile and pay NO attention to the cranky passengers or flight attendants...they just have a big stick up their butts!
Yikes! That's a project by yourself. Just remember...the entire plane can't hear a child that's upset. Only the immediate rows can. It just FEELS like the whole plane can hear them.

Good luck and pack that bag with anything and everything you can think of to keep them busy!
Anonymous said…
You are a brave woman and your mother, before you :), no doubt!
Unknown said…
You, honey? Are brave.

But? I know you can do it.

I haven't flown with 2 yet...just Isabella a few times. Snacks--lots and lots of snacks. Games. Toys. Anything--haha!

Sending lots of be good vibes to your boys--I know they'll be great, sweetie!
Shana said…
You CAN do this!!!! I have flown alone with the kids many times. It is not easy, but being prepared is the best way to go. Its a pain, but bring more than you think you need, JUST in case! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!!!
Good Luck! The candy store in the airport was my best friend when I took my son to Disney in July. But I also had my teen as well as my step mom to help... and he is 7 so he was pretty easy. A movie, coloring books and crayons and some candy and he was good to go!!
Oh Loukia! Your posts always make me laugh:) Good luck on your trip, you're going to have an awesome time. Can't wait to hear about it when you return.

Safe and Happy travels:)
Chantal said…
You will totally rock this. This winter my husband flew from Orlando back to Ottawa, alone with the two boys. If he can do it, Honey, you can! :) Hugs. Enjoy the trip. Can't wait to read the post.
Quirkyteacher said…
Portable DVD player, my now 6 year old would watch that even when she was 3 for the entire time. My son who is now 3 will also watch it, so it makes travelling much easier! The portable DVD is nice, because you can have the volume low in case he doesn't like the headphones like my kids. Good luck! And of course, lots of snacks!
Anonymous said…
You can do it! You're supermom!

Just remember to pack the anxiety meds for mommy!
anya said…
Relax. Think positively. You can handle whatever happens.
Mom2Miles said…
I just flew by myself w/ my 2 boys & lived to tell about it. No, it was not easy, especially getting thru airport security & juggling a squirming baby on the plane. Also, carrying & installing the carseats was a nightmare. But most people were very friendly & helpful & once we got there, we were glad. Seeing family is worth it. Yes, it's easier to just stay home, but not nearly as much fun. Good luck!!
Stephanie said…
Snacks snacks and more snacks. You can do it!
Cynthia said…
Good luck my dear. I've never traveled with both alone:O I hope it goes smoothly:)
Lady Mama said…
I love the conversations with your mom. I think you'll be fine. Just take lots of sugary foods, colouring books, sticker books, chocolate milk. And remember to breathe!
First of all - you remind me sooooo much of my friend Kristina. Maybe it's a Greek thing?

Second - MONTOMERY MALL?!? That's where people go if they live in MD. If you have choiced - like if you're visiting DC, you need to go to Tysons. There is a huge new(ish) addition on Tysons I and of course Tysons Galleria is wonderful with all of the high end stores. And you can pop over to Cafe Deluxe for lunch on the patio. You just really seem like a Tysons girl to me...

Too opnionated? Sorry - I'm being a mall know it all...

Enjoy DC! And if you have time - maybe we can meet for coffee.
Theta Mom said…
I am so with you...I HATE to fly! And you're doing it with your kids alone (OMG)! You'll get through it. Just bring loads of cheese goldfish, coloring books and your sanity. Honestly, the only thing that gets me through the flight is sitting at the bar at least an hour before I board. But, I'm thinking you won't be able to do that with the kids...so maybe once you're sitting in your seat, grab yourself a few cocktails from the flight attendant.

You must let us know how it turns out!
Be thankful its a short flight, remain calm at all times, and drink from your flask whenever the kids aren't looking.

HAVE A BLAST!!