Skip to main content

My no so perfect mommy moments:

As a mom, we all do things we are not very proud of, but we do these things anyway. Perhaps it's not what is right for you, but these things that my kids do? They are right for us. What is your less then proud mommy thing? Something that others might look down on you for doing or letting your child do?

My 3 and a half year old still sucks a soother. And I personally don't have a problem with this.

He drinks milk from a bottle once a day, at night. Again, I have no problem with this.

He gets what he wants. I cannot cannot cannot cannot say no. I try, and after saying it once or twice, I always give in. For instance - we were driving home last night, and we passed by a McDonald's. He said: "I want McDonald's!" and even though he had eaten a great dinner at my parents house of course I pulled into the drive-through for a cheeseburger happy meal. Because I can't say no - that will make him sad! Oh, I know, I'm asking for trouble, but I guess I'll deal with that when the time comes.

His usual bedtime? Midnight. It's not that we don't try to get him to bed earlier; we do, we try! We have a lovely routine. I lay down with him in his nice big bed and we read quite a few books, and talk about things and then we try to fall asleep. But then he will say things like: "Mom, I have no room... " and will proceed to push me off the bed - until he is off the bed himself, and says: "YES! Now I can downtstairs to watch Transformers!" I mean, seriously? How do I say no to that? It will only make him sad. And I hate making him sad! Other parents let their children 'cry it out' or just leave them alone in their room until they fall asleep. I can't do this. I actually LOVE putting my kids to bed, lying with them until they drift off to sleep. I know that I will not have the priviledge of sleeping beside them forever - so I am totally enjoying this right now. I love running into my son's room whenever he calls for me. I love that my one year old will wake up 1 a.m. and sleep the rest of his night in my bed. I love it. I can't and won't let they 'cry it out', no matter how tired I am, no matter that I sleep for an average of 4 hours a night. These days will pass way too quickly. My boys will grow, they will sleep on their own, one day they may not even want me to read to them before bed. And that's, well, sad. So I'll take it, I'll take the lack of sleep for now. Because they're my babies, and I am not a fan of the cry it out method. And for the record, I have nothing against you if that is what you choose to do!

My kids eat chocolate almost daily. Not a lot, but if they want a piece, really, I'm not going to say no. Trust me - they eat well - we are Greek, after all, so every home cooked meal we eat consists of every food group and then some. They're healthy, they're active (well, as active as you can be when you're 1 and 3!) and they like chocolate. Who can blame them?

Comments

Lola said…
i sooo hear you on this post and they are only young once and chocolate is good for you (all europeans agree with that right?:) My only 2 cents is the soother/bottle thing. I let my daughter also and while taking her brother to the dentist (my kids are 5.5 years apart) my really nice female and mommy dentist said that we should really think about losing the bottle as it could affect her bite and alignment and WOULD affect them the longer she had it. She was 2.5 yrs old. I went home and did it cold turkey....she hasn't had a drink of milk since...sigh...she's almost 9 now:)
anyways, enjoyed your latest posts!