Thursday, February 23, 2012

On being a scary mommy

A few years ago, I took my children to Washington, D.C (crazily, without my husband) to visit family and to show my boys where I worked when I interned at CBS TV. Not that they had much interest in the building itself, but Wisconsin Avenue will always hold a special place in my heart. Travelling solo with my boys was an awesome accomplishment, and the vacation was memorable, despite the fact that I was a nervous wreck flying alone with two children.

On the agenda? Meet Jill, one of my favourite bloggers. Through emails we tried to plan the perfect night out - drinks? Dinner? Both? Of course, with five children between us, that wasn't going to happen. We settled on meeting at the Barnes and Nobles in Bethesda. I recognised Jill's famous curls as I crossed the street with my boys in their Maclaren double stroller, and her adorable youngest son and my boys quickly hit it off.


They started playing in the waterfall outside, while Jill and I sat on the bench and caught up like old friends. We took our party of kids indoors where they continued to play, and we continued to talk, until a temper tantrum (my kid? hers?) stopped our conversation a couple of hours later. We hugged good-bye,and I made plans to go to BlogHer 2010 in New York City. Meeting a blogger in real life wasn't that scary, after all!


Jill has always been one of my favourite bloggers, because her posts are honest, relatable, and hilarious. YES! I want to scream in agreement, when I read what she writes about raising children. It's comforting knowing I'm not the only one who thinks a swear word uttered here or there is no big f*cking deal, and I'm in full agreement when she says "It's the dirty little secret of new motherhood that nobody tells you: Newborns are a breeze. Just wait until you have a three-year-old and you'll kill for those early days." So very true. But don't tell anyone who doesn't have kids yet, okay?

Jill and I hung out at BlogHer in NYC and and we spent more time together last year at BlogHer in San Diego, too. That's when I found out she was going to be a published author. I am pretty sure all of San Diego heard my SQUEE when I heard the news that she was approached to write her book about motherhood. Who better to write a book like this, I thought, than the Scary Mommy herself?







Two days ago, I tore into the envelope that contained Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and IrreverentLook At Motherhood—The Good, The Bad, and The Scary.

I brought the book with me to my son's swimming lessons, and started reading the Acknowledgements first. I saw my name listed among other bloggers I adore, and I got a little teary.

For two years now, the parenting book I've been trying to write has stayed approximately three chapters long. I am nothing if not a procrastinator. An excellent one, at that.

Jill has turned her words into a book, and accomplished one heck of a goal. Her book is for all moms, written from a mother, the true expert on parenthood. Every chapter is easy to relate to. And comforting. I'm buying a few copies for my best friends, those who are currently pregnant, and those who are already moms. It's well worth the read, and I couldn't put it down.

Motherhood is not all sunshine and roses. Motherhood is full of cloudy skies and muddy days, too. Being a mom is scary. And I'm so glad I have a book to keep near me when I need a good laugh, or when I need to be reminded that we're all in the same club. It'll also serve as a good reminder that dreams do come true.

I'm happily giving away a copy of this book, too, to one of my fabulous readers. Just leave me a comment below telling me what makes you a scary mommy! I'll pick a winner randomly on February 29th. Contest open to U.S. and Canadian residents.

Good Luck!


Oh, and I am also giving away the awesome LG Optimus LTE smartphone, too! Enter here.

16 comments:

Cinamongirl17 said...

Not sure what makes me a scary mommy! I only know that even after two kids, being a mother is hard, fun, easy, thrilling, tough, and scary all at once. Nothing else compares!

Lin said...

Technically I'm not a 'Scary Mommy' because I dont have kids but I can tell you that my mom was/is one. I may be 29 but that woman can still handle anything that comes her way & give me a look that says she means business.

hollygolightly0831 (at) gmail (dot) com

The Girls said...

I think what makes me a Scary Mommy is all of the things that my kids have made me say, that even I can believe are coming out of my mouth. "Don't sit on your brother's head!" "Be careful! Why? Because I don't have time to take you to the hospital right now!" "Is THAT poo?" The list goes on.

jodielyn2 said...

I love my kids with all my heart but I also am a realist and know I can be a scary mommy!! Not being the perfect Pinterest mom, running out the door to work at times happy just to get away from the crying, watching in shock/awe my DS urinate on my furniture, and the list can go on and on since that was just this week... Finding Scary Mommy was a blessing just to help confirm I am not alone out there not being "perfect".

Karen said...

The answer is pretty simple in my household. Just ask my kids. They can come up with a bajillion reasons that I am a scary mommy...with several loving words thrown in the mix. Don't let them fool you. Our life is wonderful!

F.I.N.E. said...

Not sure I'm scary; crazy is probably a better word! I raised mine (now 25, 22, and 20) and then about a year ago my husband and I decided to become the legal guardians of our great-niece who has just turned 9. She's been with us for almost three years, but officially became ours last July. The March before our yougest left for college the little one came to live with us so we've started all over again. Crazy right?

Lady Mama said...

It's a great accomplishment to finish writing a book. What makes me a scary mommy? Probably the way I look when I wake up first thing in the morning? :-)

lostandforgotten said...

Can't wait to read Jill's book! I'm not sure what would make me a scary mommy. I certainly know what scares my husband and that's that I don't hover all the time! I let my kids roam my childproof house and sometimes (most times) I'm not in the same room with them! Because sometimes mommy needs some online time. (I was going to say alone time, but the Freudian slip was to good not to keep.)

sllanes said...

I'm a scary mommy because honestly, most of the time I don't know what I'm doing! That's pretty scary!!! He still has all ten fingers and toes with no broken bones so I'm doing something right but I'm learning as I go. It's a full time job and I have a full time job. If I could just get him to STOP whining then I'll feel like I did something right!

cyndin210 said...

Scary mommy...hmmm...I have been called the meanest mom in the world. To which I calmly replied, "I can't be the meanest mom because that one killed her kids...and I can't be the second meanest because that one beats her kids...the third meanest starved her kids." My children just looked at me and decided maybe I wasn't so mean and/or scary after all. I may yell a lot sometimes but that seems to be the only way to get them to listen to me. I may seem too strict when it comes to my 17 year old daughter dating but she deserves a boy who will ask us if he can date her...even if she doesn't realize it. We didn't just give our kids cars when they turned 16...we match funds so they appreciate the value that much more. My daughter will have money by her 17th birthday and my 19 year old is still without a car. I have had scary moments...my daughter at three decided to hang out the window of our third floor apartment completely naked and dump soap, shampoo, and bubble bath out the window. My friend called and I carefully walked into my daughter's room pulled her in and closed the window. As soon as my husband arrived home, a baby gate was installed in the window (looked like bars on the windows). Being a mom of toddlers then pre-teens, teenagers, and now one college student and a teenage girl have led me to have many Scary Mommy moments...more than I want to admit to.

NDeleone said...

My nickname in my town is "Sergeant Nicole" I carry a wooden spoon around with me at all times (and yes, it has a red unhappy face painted with a sharpie marker on it) and my friend just made me a belt buckle out of license plate letters that says "kick ass" to reflect my zero tolerance policy attitude! I am a work-at-home mom/wife and I've got three kids ages 13, 3 and 18-months old. I've been called a drill sergeant quite often (and I am not going to lie, I kinda like it!!) The older that my 3-year old gets the more he does not fear Mr. Spoon, I am thinking that it's time to graduate to Mr. Spatula.....Being a mom is great, being a parent really stinks! The endless disciplining and the sound of my own voice after repeating commands for the 158907968 time, the arguments about why he can't the hair dryer in the bathtub with him and now the drama that my 13-year old brings is exhausting! The sound of my own voice (especially at the end of the day) makes me a scary mommy!

Alicia said...

I find I am more of a "scared mommy" I have boy that will be 3 in April, and who ever said the terrible 2's were bad is rather insane. The 3's are worse, they are discovering their independence and are quite stubborn! I am 5 months pregnant and I am terrified of adding another child to our family, I just don't know how I will do it. Things may get scary at times, but I love my little guy with all that I have and I can't wait to love another little person just as much and see the love (or constant fighting) between 2 siblings :)

andrea from the fishbowl said...

I'm a big fan of Jill's and I wish her all the success in the world. I'm at my scariest when I'm driving without my GPS. OMG. My navigational skills are awful and it terrifies my kids. ("Do you know where we're going mommy?" Ugh.)

Elaine A. said...

Amen! I loved seeing your name in the back! And the book is SO Great and Jill is amazing.

:)

anymommy said...

I love this post and the friendships that come from writing that it reflects. Yay, Scarymommy! Now, Lou, you finish your book ;-)

Jonnie (JB) said...

I think I'm a scary mommy because I'm just winging it most of the time. My kids think I'm a scary mommy because I'm the disciplinarian in the family.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs