Saturday, March 13, 2010

This is the end, my friend...


video

The following post (below) is my entry into the fabulous Mabel's Labels BlogHer'10 Contest. The winner of this contest will receive a trip to BlogHer 2010 and a one-year contract as a paid blogger for Mabel’s Labels. I would LOVE to be given the honour to write for Mabel's Labels, because they are an amazing company, providing outstanding products for everyone - not just moms! What a gig that would be!


We were asked to write a post on our blogs in response to this hypothetical situation:

Electric storms are going to wipe out the Internet, perhaps forever - you have one day left to write about your passions - what do you want to say to the blogosphere in 300 words or less?


Here is my entry:

Where were you the first time it happened?


My love affair with the Internet began in 1995, during my first year of University, in the library computer lab.


Since then - since my first email was sent to my friend who was sitting next to me - I have not looked back.


My love for the Internet grows stronger everyday.

You could say I'm... passionate about the Internet.


I'm passionate about the Internet because of what it allows me to do - to write without abandon about my life - and my absolute greatest inspiration - my two children.

I write about why I love being a mom, my experiences, and my fears.


I write about the importance of enjoying the small things in life- because it’s those moments that make the greatest stories, that create memories which last a lifetime.

The Internet allows me to connect with you - faithful readers, commenters, friends. You make writing more enjoyable because I know there is always someone on the other side reading - you help validate my words.

We are an online network, a strong network, and even though some of us have yet to meet in person, the connections are there. And the connections are real. We are passionate. We support eachother. We laugh together, cry together, overcome tragedy, and help one another.


We gain confidence. We find out voices. We are heard.

Without the Internet, my words would be silenced. I’d still write - but there would be a void without the interaction.

You see, the Internet has not taken anything away from my life. It has enriched it.
So, thank you.

Thank you for reading, for your tweets, for your humour.

Thank you for your brilliance.


Most of all - thank you for supporting me, and for being there - all the time.

34 comments:

allisonzapata said...

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!! LOVED IT!! Dude, you should be a newscaster. You are a natural!

TEAM LOU LOU!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Love it - Good luck!

hoobingfamilyadventures.com said...

I think you have a great shot at it! Good luck!

john cave osborne said...

i love the internet b/c it allows me to find people like you. good luck w/ your entry. i think you're fantastic!

Smart A$$ Mom said...

OH SNAP!!! I forgot your background being in broadcast journalism!! Nobody stands a chance against that, Lou!!! It is AWESOME. And how FREAKING adorable are you?!?!? I can't wait for you to get to NYC. We will have a ball.

Loukia said...

T, thank you! Alas, the video is NOT being judged, I just thought it would be fun! :)

sunshinekeddie said...

You look amazing! You could easily be a news anchor :)

Scary Mommy said...

Oh, you are so fabulous!! Loved it. Can we vote? Because I pick YOU!! xox

Muthering Heights said...

LOLOL, I love that you sent your first email to someone sitting next to you...fitting for a blogger! :P

Tyne said...

Good for you Loukia! I love it and hope you win... you are well deserving!

Sandy said...

Awesome! Good Luck!

Chrissy MacCEO said...

Excellent post - wishing you all the best!! I'd love to see you win the trip and get paid to do what you LOVE!!

Amber said...

I am pretty passionate about the internet, too.

(And your vlog rocks!)

Laurie said...

Good luck with the contest - that is a beautiful entry! I think it captures how a lot of us feel about the internet, especially about our connections through blogging and similar types of social media.

Anonymous said...

Very nice post... I think you have a great shot!

Have you checked your word count? ...I'm pretty sure it's over 300... and if the video is included it's well over. Might want to check regulations....

Mrs. Priss said...

This was FABULOUS! And what the heck? Were you a newscaster back in the day? I agree with allison up at the top... natural!

Good luck!

Neena said...

You're awesome!

Jessica said...

Ok first of all, that vlog was fantastic! YOu would be an excellent newscaster- so creative. I'm inspired.

I love your writing. Thank you for a beautiful post- you better win :)

Rebecca said...

love it!!! good luck :)

EatPlayLove said...

I got hung up on your "about". Great Job L and good luck.

Lindsay said...

You are a professional, I loved the video, I think you need to change professions!! ;)

McMommy said...

Bravo! Bravo!!! It makes my broadcast journalism heart SO PROUD!!!

MamaJoss said...

Nice job! Loved your "broadcast" - you're aweseome :) I hope you win...you totally HAVE TO!!!

Maria @BOREDmommy said...

Great Job Loukia - Good Luck!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy said...

Yay Loukia! Your vlog is fantastic, and I LOVED your written entry! My fingers are firmly crossed for you!!! :-)

Nap Warden said...

OMG...go you! AWESOME:)

Karl said...

Since I missed you when you were in Florida last, it's cool to see you on video. Good luck with the contest.

VW said...

Thanks for the hula hooping comment just now! :)

Sir Thomas AKA (Winters Reaper) said...

Your super Mom for sure...

you rock and I think you have a very good shot....

Brittany at Mommy Words said...

Loukia the vlog is so creative and cute!

I think your entry is great too. I totally agree that the internet has allowed me to connect to so many wonderful people and to re-connect with myself and my feelings.

It also keeps me accountable. Having a blog and readers makes me want to write more and better. It makes me record not only my family memories but also my thoughts on motherhood and parenting. It makes me a better parent to work through issues with other moms. I will be so glad I have this when I am am older!

My online friends have helped me through miscarriage and illness, through stressful pregnancies, through everything!

The interaction is key!

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

Oh sweetie, right back at you!

You bet, the connections are definitely real!

BeachMama said...

That is so fun Loukia! Great job!

ModernMom said...

Great job Loulou!

Tricia Mumby said...

Awe, this is such a sweet post! I agree whole-heartedly. The internet has done nothing but enrich my life. Good luck with the contest!

Blog Designed by: NW Designs