Friday, March 6, 2009

Crash...

I saw it coming before it actually happened... I was driving home last night, anticipating some serious hugs from my little boys when all of a sudden, the blue car in front of me slammed on his breaks. I quickly reacted and started breaking, too. I braked within a centimeter of his car, but did not hit it - of course, the driver behind me didn't see any of this happening because she rear-ended me so bad! (She got charaged with careless driving).

I was in pain instantly, which I couldn't believe - the back of my head, my back, shoulders and even my right arm were really hurting! I was checked out by the ambulance folks, and they offered to take me to the hospital, but I really just wanted to get home to my boys. My husband was there within minutes (amazing feat during rush hour!) and we got home around dinnertime. Minus my car, of course. It's at the body shop being repaired.

How come I am prone to car accidents? I was in another serious accident last year, when I was 8 months pregnant. This time the accident was my fault. I had just left an appointment with my OB/GYN and I was having some discomfort in my belly and wasn't paying attention to the road signs, and I completely ran a stop sign onto O'Connor. The sound of that crash was extremely loud, with air bags popping out and everything - luckily, just on the passenger side, as the driver side airbag was not working. And being 8 months pregnant at the time - that's a great thing! I was taken to the hospital for observation for several hours and had a couple of ultrasounds as well as my blood work done to make sure my placenta was still in place. Well, anyway, in the last 2 years, these are the car accidents I've been in. Not fun at all, for anyone involved, but again, am thankful for the caring firemen that quickly arrived to the scene, and to the paramedics who evaluated me.

I also felt terrible for my best friend who I was speaking with on the phone as the accident happened... normal talk, then all she hears is me screaming, breaks, crash, horns blasting, my phone goes flying across the car and then... silence. She was worried and kept calling me back and finally we spoke and I told her I was okay! What a scary thing to have to listen to, though!

I just can't get over how many people, both pedestians and other drivers, stopped to STARE like the 3 car pile-up was a circus show or something! During the half hour we waited for police arrive, only one man asked us if we were okay and if we needed help. ONE person! What's this about Canadians being super friendly? I'm beginning to change my opinon on that...

2 comments:

skichik79 said...

glad your ok Lou .. be carefull we wanna keep you around hun :) hugzzz

Suzanne said...

I love you, babe! I'm glad you're ok, but I still think you should go and get checked out.
And yeah, that phonecall was intense. I immediately started shaking when I heard you crash. I had NO idea if you were ok or not. Thank GOD you were. xo

Blog Designed by: NW Designs