Thursday, March 19, 2009

Add this to the long list of worry...

By now you've all heard the tragic news about Natasha Richardson. After taking a fall while skiing in Mont Tremblant, she passed away from a traumatic head injury. The scary part of this story is that she was fine after the accident. Talking, laughing, refusing medical help. Only an hour later, she started complaining about head pain.

Reading this article on CNN.com makes me even more worried, since as a mother to two young children, I have seen them fall and hit their heads quite a few times. I suffer from Hypochondria - capital H. So last night, when my 1 year old banged his head on the side of our door frame, I was, needless to say worried. Oh, did he ever cry! But after a minute, he was fine. Still, I worried...

At 6 months old, he fell off my mom's couch and we rushed him to the emergency room, to make sure everything was okay. Again, he was fine.

But still... kids take spills and kids will get hurt, no matter how watchful and careful you are. So really, the article above has made me feel a whole lot worse, and my worry has grown. Like I don't have enough to worry about!

I think that helmets should be mandatory on ski hills. I used to ski when I was younger, but have no real desire for it anymore. My oldest son, who is 3 and a half, has not gone skiing yet, and I also don't have any desire to get him on the slopes any time soon. I'd be way too worried of him falling! Of course, I can't live my life like this, and I can't prevent him from doing activites that are normal, right? So I guess I have to remember that stories like that are not common. But still... I worry.

5 comments:

a Tired Mom said...

Hi! Thank you for coming by and reading my blog. I am glad that you enjoyed it! I can understand your worry. As a mom it is in our nature to worry about our children. It is important to remember, though, that children are more resilient then adults are. It is amazing how much our little one's can handle without getting hurt! Just today, for example, my youngest daughter had her fingers closed in a door and the only damage is a small red mark on her ring finger on her left hand.

Loukia said...

That happened to my baby last week, too... I felt terrible, but like you say, children are more resilient then adults... thank GOD for that!

Catwoman said...

It is completely terrifying. Like you, it made me think of everytime Little Man bumped his head, which is A LOT! I guess it just means we need to worry even more!

Loukia said...

Catwoman - exactly! All I do is worry, non-stop, it's horrible. So thanks to this new tragic story... it makes things worse. I try to remember that they are strong and everything, but still... a mom's worry never ends!

A Crafty Mom said...

It is scary. I think of all the times I skied in my whole life and never hit my head - but it so easily could have happened! Life is so short and precious, horrible events like this always make me remember that.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs