Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Say a little prayer...

Do you remember last week, on the cover of The Ottawa Citizen and The Ottawa Sun, the picture of the beautiful little boy skating with the Sens? The boy's name is Elgin-Alexander, and he is just three years old. He has been fighting cancer since he was 9 months old. And he is losing the battle. He has been given around 2 months left to live. He is my good friend Ana's little cousin. And I just can't comprehend how sad this reality is. There is nothing sadder than seeing a child who is sick, knowing they aren't going to make it. Just looking at his picture from the newspapers you think, 'but he looks great, so happy, beautiful, healthy!' It's the more heart wrenching thing, to see a child suffer. I can't imagine the pain the parents are feeling.

When my son was sick with an infection and needed to stay in CHEO for almost 2 weeks when he was 2 1/2 months old, we saw a lot of sick children. I have to say that those days were the hardest days I have ever had to go through in my life, for 2 reasons. 1, because my child was sick and hooked up to an IV and in pain and undergoing tests, and 2, because it was the first time I was exposed to the reality of what really goes on inside a children's hospital, how many children are sick, and how many do not have treatable illnesses. It was depressing and the feeling of hopelessness I felt won't ever go away. Again, when Christos was 6 months old we spent a few days in CHEO and again, I was overcome with saddness at the children we saw everyday. I donate to CHEO, and do whatever I can, but still, it is just not enough. Prayer helps, and I think you should all also pray for Elgin-Alexander and for all the sick kids who do not deserve this.

1 comment:

Anastasia said...

Thank you Loulou! Love you!

Elgin is actually heading to Disney soon and loved being with the Sens. He's a wonderful little boy and I cherish every moment that we have with him now.

Blog Designed by: NW Designs